Nestled in the folds of Liguria, Genoa offers an authentic taste of Italy. Its not just the mesmerising food that draws people in, as theres plenty for the culturally-minded to see in this ancient maritime city.
Discover Genoa, a Renaissance wonder
Genoa is one of Europes picturesque cities, composed of hill-top Basilicas and the florid gardens of imposing villas. You can visit the Old Harbour, where a famous aquarium and maritime museum await you, or slip into the historic city centre one of the widest on the continent.
When your legs have tired from exploring you can sit back in one of Genoas comfortable cafes and enjoy traditional spaghetti with pesto a local delicacy. Theres an airport and a railway station, which provides convenient links to Turin, Milan and Rome, should you choose to explore further afield.
Top 5 places to see in Genoa
A rich artistic and political history ensures that theres plenty to see in Genoa. Heres some of our top sights, from iconic galleries to lesser known gems:
- Marvel at the magnificent San Lorenzo Cathedral
- Visit the Aquarium of Genoa, Europes second largest aquarium
- La Nouvelle Vague is a bohemian bookshop and bar, where you can enjoy a cocktail while browsing Italian literature
- Take a trip to the varied Basilicas, which host frescos by artists like Van Dyck and Guido Reni
- Pay tribute to holy relics at the Museum del Tesoro, which is said to house a fragment of the Cross
Top 5 places to sate your appetite
No place is better to work up an appetite than Genoa. Wherever you go youll be surrounded by delicious eateries, and you can count on a great meal at any of the following:
- If Italy means pizza to you, try the Pizzeria di Vico dei Biscotti, a traditional pizzeria frequented by locals
- With fresh cuttlefish and ravioli in walnut sauce, Lupo never fails to amaze
- Antica Cantina serves Ligurian meat dishes and fine wines inside an intimate stone cellar
- I Tre Merli is a stately and handsome restaurant, but if youre after a lighter bite you can enjoy focaccia col formaggio with a glass of wine
- With a romantic atmosphere and delectable cuisine, Retro Restaurant is ideal after a long day exploring