Think Spain with a bit of Africa, China and India thrown in, plus a myriad of visitors from the ships, and you get an idea of how Las Palmas feels. Its a thriving port full of life and entertainment at every time of the day and night. No wonder its so popular a recent study at a US university declared it to have the best climate in the world.
A cultural buzz wherever you go
La Vegueta, the old quarter, is a World Heritage Site and home to many of the best bars and restaurants. The city also has a booming cultural scene, with plenty of concerts, theatres, cinemas and dance performances.
Top 5 Las Palmas architecture
- Santa Ana Cathedral - Take the lift up the bell tower of this 16th-century cathedral or climb the 216 steps to enjoy views of the harbour and of pretty Plaza de Santa Ana below
- Jardin Canario - This 27-acre botanic garden, on the side of a ravine, is home to about 500 species of plants native to the islands.
- Elder Museum of Science and Technology - Full of interactive exhibits on everything from computing to the dinosaurs
- Columbus House - This lovely building, decorated with courtyards, fountains and balconies, houses a free museum with a replica of the explorers quarters, some of his letters and 15th-century maps. It wasnt in fact Columbuss home, but the residence of the early governors of Las Palmas, where the explorer is thought to have stayed
- Alfredo Kraus Auditorium - This concert hall is worth a visit just so you can admire the building
Top 5 places to go in Las Palmas
- Playa de las Canteras - This clean stretch of golden sand, more than 3km long, is bordered by a redbrick seaside promenade lined with restaurants, bars, cafes and souvenir stores
- La Vegueta - Explore the narrow streets of the old town, lined with small bars, restaurants, churches, squares and museums
- Triana - The citys main shopping area is full of Art Nouveau and Art Deco buildings
- Parque Santa Catalina - This quiet park, where elderly men play chess, cards and dominos, is a great place to people-watch and surrounded by charming cafes.
- Parque Doramas - This large park has a pool full of koi carp, several fountains and plenty of shrubs, flowers and dragon trees.