Loading, please wait...
Keeping you protected on your European adventure
One of the best ways to experience Europe and all that it offers, is to get behind the wheel and experience it your own way, at your own pace. The freedom that hiring your own car brings opens up so many possibilities.
If you're looking to take the driver's seat on your European holiday, the last thing you want to worry about any potential mishaps that may occur, and the subsequent costs that follow. As such, it's important to get protected against any eventualities. That's where Holiday Extras car hire excess insurance comes in.
What is car hire excess insurance?
Put simply, a car hire excess is the voluntary amount you would be expected to pay on a rental car, should you be involved in an accident that caused damage to the hired vehicle. This figure is in no way standardised, so some companies can require an excess in the thousands, meaning you'd have to pay that amount towards repairs, regardless of the extent of damage. More often than not, car hire companies often hide these fee conditions in the small print, so it's easy to overlook them, and be left short in the even of an accident. For a more comprehensive breakdown of Car Hire Excess Insurance, see here.
Holiday Extras is here to make sure that doesn't happen.
From as little as the cost of a cup of coffee, we'll make sure your excess is covered, meaning you'll be insured against having to foot the bill for these charges yourself. Holiday Extras car hire excess insurance works on a reimbursement basis, meaning that anything you have to pay in excesses in the event on an accident, you'll get back from us.
Benefits of European car hire excess insurance
Holiday Extras trusted car hire excess insurance protects you against any unexpected charges from the rental company, should the hire car become damaged, or involved in an accident.
Our car hire excess cover includes:
- Up to £10,000 excess/deposit reimbursement
- Up to £500 misfuelling cover
- Up to £500 rental car key cover (this includes cover for lost, stolen or damaged keys)
- Up to £500 rental car breakdown recovery
- Up to £300 personal possessions cover
- Up to £200 lock out cover
- Protection for tyres, windscreen and the upper body of the vehicle.
- Theft, vandalism, loss or damage to the hire vehicle
Car hire excess insurance summary of cover*
|Excess / Deposit reimbursement|
- Single item, pair or set
- Tobacco, alcohol, fragrances
|Rental car key cover
- Lost, stolen or damaged keys
- Lock out
£500 (£2,000 within the policy year)
*This is a summary of the main cover limits. It is advised to read the rest of the policy for the full terms and conditions
Annual car hire excess insurance
If you're a frequent traveller who often makes use of car hire in Europe, then it's worth considering taking out an annual insurance policy. Not only does this take out the time and hassle of securing cover every time you travel, but you can make huge savings with an annual fee. As long as each individual trip does not exceed the 61 consecutive day cap, you can get cheap car hire excess insurance.
Daily car hire excess insurance
If you're only purchasing car hire once or twice a year, then daily car hire will be the best suited option for your needs. With daily car hire excess insurance, you'll only be paying for the days of your car hire cover period. This policy is used for single trips that do not exceed one month (31 consecutive days).
European and Worldwide cover
Our excess insurance for car hire abroad covers both Europe and the rest of the world*, so regardless of where you're travelling, you'll be able to rent a car with the peace of mind that, no matter where you are, if something should happen, we've got you covered.
Making a claim
If you're looking to make a claim on your car hire insurance policy, there are a few things you will need, but overall the process is simple and straight-forward. Here's some important information on what you need to make a general claim:
- Your original policy schedule, vehicle rental agreement and travel documents showing the dates and times of travel
- Original bills or invoices you are asked to pay
- Original receipts and accounts for any out-of-pocket expenses you have to pay
- A copy of the driving license of the person driving the insured vehicle at the time of the accident.
*The only countries excluded from our cover are Afghanistan, Belarus, Congo, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Burma, Sudan and Zimbabwe (as well as any destinations to which the government advises against travel).
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.