Loading, please wait...
Travel with peace of mind with an Amsterdam travel insurance policy, starting from just *
Travel Insurance Amsterdam
Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands and a jewel in the crown of western Europe. Whether you're there for a flying visit while interrailing, there for business, or a weekend city break, there's an incredible amount to experience in Amsterdam. From sipping at a chilled pint of Heineken by one of the many idyllic canals, or seeing 'The Sunflowers' for the first time at the Van Gogh museum. Whatever you decide upon, you're spoilt for choice with amazing Dutch experiences.
With its roofs and streets dusted with snow in the winter, or glistening with sunbeams and colour in spring, Amsterdam is breathtaking for tourists at any time of the year in a perpetual, fairytale-like serenity. Of course, you will need to safeguard your trip with a reliable travel insurance provider while taking in this spectacular Dutch destination.
Amsterdam travel insurance cover levels
At Holiday Extras, we like to keep things simple. we have 2 policies with 4 levels of cover to choose from. Check out our levels of cover to see what suits your holiday, be it a single or an annual multi-trip policy:
You can add on extras to your travel insurance policy depending on what you plan on doing on your trip. If you're on business and are bringing multiple devices with you, then maybe gadget cover is the thing for you.
If ever there were a city to be synonymous with cycling, it'd be Amsterdam. Named as the most cycling-friendly city in the world and with over 400km of cycling paths, you will find it's a fantastic way to whizz around the city. As one of the most eco-friendly capitals in the world with the majority of residents (approx. 58%) and tourists alike taking to the mighty bicycle largely due to it's flat and densely populated. If you fancy putting your foot to the pedal, you will want to think about taking out cycling insurance to make sure you have that extra bit of security should anything happen to you. Luckily, all of our policies include "cycle touring", "leisure biking" (both up to 1,000m), "electric cycling" and "unicycle riding" as standard.
Our top 5 things to see in Amsterdam
1. Anne Frank House
The Anne Frank House is a museum which commemorates Anne Frank and her famous World War 2 diary as well as memorialising the Holocaust and the events which led to her death.
2. Van Gogh museum
Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum is the world's largest collection of Van Gogh paintings and documents, including some of the painter's personal correspondence and the famous 'Sunflowers'.
3. Canal cruises
See Amsterdam's famous canal from the water on a guided boat tour. Amsterdam's canals are a UNESCO protected site, and these boat rides can also be combined with a luxury dinner or wine tasting event.
Whether you want to enjoy a gentle walk or a rigorous bike ride, Vondelpark, the largest park in Amsterdam is the place to do it. Renowned for its beauty, there is plenty of interest in its 120 acres, from statues to spaceship themed playgrounds.
5. Heineken experience
See where the famous beer is made and experience every aspect from the brewing process to tasting it for yourself. This is the ultimate treat for any beer lover and includes a guided tour around the factory.
Things to avoid doing:
While there are many great things for tourists to do in Amsterdam, some activities that tourists may take part in are illegal, such as smoking cannabis outside of coffee shops, drinking in public and cycling in pedestrian areas.
The national language of the Netherlands is Dutch, which most people use as their first language. However, English is commonly known in Amsterdam, and so communication barriers should not cause too many problems for tourists.
Which city are you travelling to?
Looking for more specific travel and insurance information on a particular european city? Take a look at our in-depth city guides.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.