Let's find the fiestas and taste the tapas, and relax knowing you're fully covered for cancellation, baggage and possessions cover with Holiday Extras
Travelling to Spain
Spain is one of the most popular destinations for UK holidaymakers. Whether you're heading for cosmopolitan Barcelona or the history-drenched Basque region, it makes sense to take out holiday insurance before you set off. With our travel insurance for Spain, you'll be protected from the unexpected. We provide cover to protect you against loss of baggage in transit, cancellations, declared medical conditions and unforeseen medical expenses.
Do I need travel insurance for Spain?
It's highly recommended to have comprehensive medical cover as part of your travel insurance to Spain.
Although an EHIC card will cover for some necessary medical treatment from public healthcare facilities, it will not cover for private treatment of any kind. This could be potentially problematic, as some hotels may contact private doctors and hospitals in cases of emergency. An EHIC card will only entitle you to a basic level of state healthcare and will not cover you for things like repatriation back to the UK or dental treatment.
For these reasons, we recommend taking out proper European travel insurance with medical cover. Holiday Extras range of annual and single trip policies cover you for emergency treatment - whether private or state run - so you have one less thing to worry about in an emergency.
Water sports insurance
Spain is an extremely popular destination for water sports enthusiasts - Tenerife, Fuerteventura and Tarifa being some of the most sought-after surfing locations in the world. If you plan on riding the waves, it's important to make sure you are covered for water sports under your travel insurance policy. With Holiday Extras travel insurance you are covered for a range of water sports activities. Here's a list of some of the activities you are covered for as standard:
- water polo
- white water rafting
- scuba diving (up to 30 meters)
For more information on water sports insurance and the activities covered as standard with our travel insurance policies, visit the water sports insurance page.
In addition to having proper cover for water sports with your travel insurance to Spain, it's also important to get clued up on the beach safety flag system. The Spanish have a system indicating when it's safe to bathe, whether there are jellyfish in the water and whether the lifeguard is on duty or not. It's highly advised pay attention to the flag warnings, as failing to do so could potentially invalidate your water sports insurance cover.
Outdoor sports insurance
Whether it's hiking up the Sierra Nevada or rafting along the Noguera Pallaresa, there are a ton of outdoor activities to get stuck into. If your holiday to Spain will be an action-packed, white-knuckle adventure, then you'll need to make sure you choose a travel insurance policy that covers you properly. With Holiday Extras travel insurance policy, you are covered for over 100 sports and activities. Just check out our adventure travel insurance page for more information.
If you are planning some more high-risk, extreme sports activities for your holiday in Spain, then you may need to take out an additional premium to cover for the higher risk. Visit our extreme sports insurance page for more information.
Driving in Spain
As well as the usual documentation required for driving a vehicle in most foreign lands (being aged 18 years and older, having a full valid driving license, proof of insurance, proof of ID, proof of ownership) there are a few extra requirements for driving in Spain that you may not have been aware of:
To avoid a hefty on-the-spot fine, you will need to carry:
- Reflective jackets - although not mandatory to carry, it's advised to have one in the car, as someone walking on the road or hard-shoulder can be fined for not wearing one.
- Headlamp beam deflectors- depending on your car you may need deflector stickers or have to adjust manually adjust the beam.
- A warning triangle - this is compulsory in all vehicles of four wheels or more.
Why not discover Spain by rail?
Another way to discover Spain is to hop onto a train and watch the landscape unfold from out you window. Perhaps the cheapest way to do this is by getting yourself an interrail ticket. This handy ticket allows you to travel anywhere in Europe on selected railway and ferry lines. Check out our interrail travel insurance page for more information on interrailing, and how to get the most out of your interrail trip.
Booking your policy
Choosing your policy is quick and easy whether you choose to do so online or via our call centre. Enter your details into the quote form above or simply place a FREE call to our support team. Should you need any help when applying, you can get in touch with our friendly team based at our UK call centre.
Things you'll need to know
Passports and Visas - British citizens do not need a visa to enter Spain. This applies for stays of up to 90 days. You must have your passport with you to travel.
What to pack - Spain has a varied climate, from the continental temperatures inland to hot and dry conditions in the south-east. Research the area you're intending to travel to and plan accordingly.
The currency used throughout Spain is the euro. As all of the surrounding countries use the same currency, places to exchange your money may be more difficult to find. Banks and building societies usually offer the best rates.
Places to visit in Spain
- Pick a coastline. Spain offers the Costa Blanca, Costa Brava, and the Costa del Sol for sand and sunshine.
- Take out our winter sports insurance and go skiing in the beautiful Sierra Nevada.
- Do some island hopping. Spain's largest Balearic Islands are Majorca, Minorca and Ibiza, and the Canary Islands include Tenerife, Lanzarote and Gran Canaria.
- Soak up Spanish passion and excitement at a summer festival. You can pelt the crowds with tomatoes in the Valencia area on the last Wednesday in August, or run with the bulls in Pamplona in mid-July.
- For a more traditional experience, visit Andalusia. The southernmost area of Spain contains some of the most popular tourist attractions and Renaissance architecture.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance