Loading, please wait...
Get the whole family insured for as little as £16.59*
Providing the best travel insurance for families
There's nothing like a trip away to bring the family together, and with Holiday Extras family travel insurance you can benefit from premium protection for you and your children. Our policies provide generous medical expenses and cancellation cover, and in addition, if you're a more intrepid family you can add winter sports cover to ensure you're protected on adventurous trips. We'll also support you if your baggage goes missing, or your tour operator runs into difficulties.
What are we covered for?
Families who travel with Holiday Extras travel insurance can choose from four levels of protection:
Single trip policy
If you've planned one special holiday this year for your family, then our single trip policy could be right for you. With cover for each trip up to 365 days, there's no limit to a holiday with something for the whole family.
- Bronze cover offers £500 of baggage insurance and another £1000 of cancellation cover per person, as well as £5 million towards medical costs.
- Silver cover provides medical cover of £10 million, baggage cover at £1,500 and cancellation insurance of £2,500 per person
- Gold cover raises your medical protection to £10 million, baggage cover to £2,000 and cancellation cover to £5,000 per person.
- Platinum cover raises your medical protection to £10 million, baggage cover to £2,000, cancellation cover to £5,000 per person and £500 for personal money, passport and documents.
Annual multi-trip policy
You may be a family of frequent travellers. Whether you're travelling independently or with the whole gang, if you embark on more than two trips a year then a family annual trip policy can be a real money-saver! You'll receive cover for an unlimited amount of trips given that each trip does not exceed trip duration.
- Multi-trip cover provides the maximum level of protection available including medical cover, cancellation costs and baggage loss.
The perks of family travel insurance
- Adults named on the same policy can travel independently (ensuring that no under 18's travel unaccompanied).
- One policy for the whole family means one payment - and only one policy to look after!
- 24/7 Emergency assistance.†
Family travel insurance with kids over 18
If you're in the market for a family travel insurance policy, you may have had some difficulty finding an accurate quote, if one or more of your children is 18 or over.
On most family insurance policies, only two adults are allowed, and if one of your children is 18 or over, then they too will sadly be classed as an adult, making it impossible to put them on a family travel insurance policy.
If you are travelling with adult children and are looking to get the whole family insured properly, you usually have two options:
- Book a group travel insurance policy (this is recommended if all your children are 18 or above) Take out separate policies for your adult children (e.g in a family of 4 where one of the children is over 18, it may be more cost effective to take out a family travel insurance policy for the parents and younger child, and a separate insurance policy for the child over 18).
- If you decide to go for the second option and take out a family policy as well as a policy for your child over 18, then it's better to take out both policies with the same insurer, as this will make the process much easier should you need to make a claim.
How do I book?
Our competitively priced family travel insurance is easy to book. You can choose to book online by completing the policy form above or via our UK-based call centre. It's free to call and you'll be able to discuss and compare our great policies with a member of our insurance call centre team.
Visit our HX Blog for some top tips for happy family travels.
If you found our tips on family travel useful, then check out our other helpful articles on this topic.
- Family and friends railcards
- Cheap family holidays
- Best family holidays in Europe
- Top family adventure holidays
- "Lapland holidays"
- Wildlife safari holidays
- Family winter sports holidays
- Family camping holidays
- Best budget family destinations
- Tips for first family trip abroad
- Best family destinations 2019
- Two together railcard
*Prices based on 4 travellers with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe inc Spain/Cyprus/Malta/Turkey or Greece for 7 days. Price correct as of April 2019.
† If you need to seek medical attention whilst abroad, please ensure that you contact the 24-hour Emergency Assistance Service for help and advice before treatment, where possible, full details can be found within the policy wording.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 01693250.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.