Loading, please wait...
Lapland Family Holidays
Visiting the North Pole is the dream Christmas family holiday for many — meeting Santa, petting Rudolph and going on a husky ride are usually at the top of every child's agenda. If you are planning on making a Lapland holiday, along with the right travel insurance for Lapland, this guide will help you to make the most of your trip, with travel advice on ice sculptures, crossing the Arctic Circle and experiencing the magnificence of the Northern Lights.
Is Lapland in Europe for travel insurance?
Before you set off up north, you may want to ensure you are prepared with a policy under your belt. Located in Finland, Lapland is indeed part of Europe when it comes to travel insurance. With a European travel insurance policy, you are covered against delayed departures, lost luggage and cancellation cover. Don't let having a medical condition put you off visiting Lapland. Make sure the whole family has exactly the specific cover they need with our medical cover for emergencies and additional cover for those with pre-existing medical conditions.
- Going skiing? Why not take out winter sports cover?
- To truly capture the beauty of the Northern Lights, you won't want to leave your camera at home. Take it with you on holiday and have it protected with gadget cover.
Lapland Family Holidays
If you're thinking about taking the whole family involved with your trip, you will want to pick hotels and other accomodation that is absolutely perfect for children to maximise your family's time spent there. There are some terrific recommendations made by TUI, who focus on giving up-to-date weather reports and hotel recommendations. Ingham's have a large variety of deals offered which look very tempting for families.
Perhaps your family is a little older and want to take part in more challenging activities like snow-mobiling, sledging and dog-sledding? If this is the case then you should check out Activities Abroad for an abundance in snow holiday information.
Of course, if you do decide to take your family on an action-packed snowy holiday, you might want to cover yourself further with winter sports insurance, protecting you in the event of any medical emergencies, piste closure and equipment cover.
Is Lapland in the North Pole?
Lapland is in Finland, straddling the upper regions of the Arctic Circle, with its capital being Rovaniemi. The Arctic Circle is (wait for it...) a circle, an imaginary one at that, which runs in parallel of the equator at 66°30? N. You can physically cross it too, just 8km north of the city centre of Rovaniemi there is Santa Claus village. It is clearly marked there and you can even get a certificate to prove that you have crossed it.
Where is Santa in Lapland?
You can visit Santa at his office in the Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi, Lapland, on the border of the Arctic Circle. The Santa Claus Village also includes an opportunity to see Santa's reindeer, his toy workshop and go on Santa themed rides at Santa Park.
Can you see the Northern Lights in Lapland?
The Northern Lights can be seen in Lapland around every other day between September and March on clear nights. You can usually see these after 6 pm until 2 am and you should keep a look out at all times, as they can come and go unexpectedly. When booking a trip to Finland and taking part in nature-based activities, it's a good idea to take out comprehensive travel insurance for the family to cover you in the event of injury.
Best places to stay in Lapland
Santa's Hotel Aurora is one of the best choices of accommodation for those wanting to see the Northern Lights. With glass-ceilinged rooms and an aurora alarm system, this hotel will give you the best chance of seeing the Northern Lights during your stay.
Santa's Hotel Tunturi is good for families with nature on their minds, with hiking trails and skiing routes only a few kilometres from this luxury hotel. You can get a room from £134 a night, and it is also close to husky ride companies.
More family winter holiday inspiration
If you found our tips on family travel useful, then check out our other helpful articles on this topic:
- Family and friends railcards
- Cheap family holidays
- Best family holidays in Europe
- Top family adventure holidays
- Wildlife safari holidays
- Family winter sports holidays
- Family camping holidays
- Best budget family destinations
- Tips for first family trip abroad
- Best family destinations 2019
- Two together railcard
- Visiting family abroad
- UK school holidays
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.