Loading, please wait...
Get full comprehensive travel insurance for your next trip, with policies starting from just £7.54*
Lost baggage travel insurance
Lost luggage is a problem no traveller wants to face on their holiday. Unfortunately, baggage loss at airport terminals is a real issue. Taking out a reliable travel insurance policy with lost baggage insurance could save you a lot of trouble, should you find that your baggage has been lost by the airline.
Delayed baggage compensation
Under the 'Montreal Convention' you have the right to demand delayed baggage compensation or lost baggage compensation from airlines. While claiming directly from the airline is always worth trying, it can often be tricky and you're not guaranteed to be adequately compensated. Typical compensation from airlines would include, payment for the bare essentials and part of the cost for replacing or repairing lost luggage.
With Holiday Extras personal luggage cover, you are insured up to £2,000 and up to £300 on individual items if your luggage is lost, stolen or delayed.
As part of our delayed possessions cover, if your carrier has failed to resolve the problem, we will help to trace and re-deliver your lost luggage.
Claiming lost baggage insurance
When making a claim for lost baggage, either from the airline or with Holiday Extras, there are a few steps you should take.
Report the incident - As soon as you realise that something is wrong with your baggage, report the problem to the airline. If you intend to claim directly from the airline, you'll stand a better chance of getting compensation if you act quickly. If you aren't able to make the report at the airport, then contact the airline through their website.
Property Irregularity report - You will need to fill one of these out, whether you decide to claim from the airline or with Holiday Extras. Property irregularity reports can be obtained at the airport from customer services in the baggage claims hall. It's always a good idea to keep a copy of your PIR as this can really help with your claim.
Make sure that you keep all of these and have them to hand. Some of these things you will not need if you are claiming with us, but it's a good idea to keep everything anyway:
Boarding Pass - This acts as proof to the airline that you are a legitimate customer.
Luggage labels - Having this will make it easier for either us or the airline to trace the location of your lost luggage.
Property Irregularity report - This acts as proof that you report the incident to the airline.
Proof of purchase - You will need to provide some evidence of your ownership of the lost items. Typically this might be a receipt or credit card statement.
Photos of damaged luggage - If your luggage was damaged, then you should provide some photographic evidence of this.
Cost estimates - It's helpful to provide a rough estimate for any repairs you're claiming for.
Making your claim
When you make your claim, either with us, or with the airline, you'll need a few details to hand:
Details for your flight (e.g dates, flight number, departure and destination).
Description of what happened to your luggage.
How much money you are asking for.
A detailed description of everything that's damaged or lost.
A list of everything you had to buy because of the delay.
Copies of all the documents previously mentioned.
*Prices based on 1 adult aged 21 with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe inc Spain/Cyprus/Malta/Turkey or Greece for 7 days. Price correct as of April 2019.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 01693250.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.