Loading, please wait...
Get great value repatriation insurance with our single trip travel insurance policy. Starting from just £7.54*.
If you're reading this page, you probably want to find out what repatriation insurance actually is and how it can help you. Simply put, repatriation insurance covers you for an unexpected return journey back to your home country - should this be advised by a recognised medical practitioner.
So, how does repatriation insurance work in a holiday insurance policy?
Travel insurance with repatriation
You may have noticed that very few travel insurance policies explicitly state repatriation in their summary of cover. This is because repatriation insurance is actually a component of any travel insurance policy worth it's salt. You'll find it grouped together under 'Emergency Medical expenses' in the policy wording. The amount listed under this category heading covers for the possibility of an unexpected return trip to the UK as a result of a medical emergency.
As you can imagine, repatriation back to the UK can be extremely costly, so it's really important to check out the repatriation section of any policy before buying, as amounts and benefits can vary.
Here is a break down of what is covered under medical emergency and repatriation:
- Medical practitioners' fees
- Hospital expenses
- In-patient and out-patient medical treatment
- Medical transportation
- Medical escort
- Repatriation travel costs
Holiday Extras travel insurance provides repatriation insurance as part of the cover for medical emergency expenses. With a Silver level policy, you can expect to be covered for up to £10 million for medical emergency expenses, including repatriation back to the UK.
Here's how much you can expect to be covered for under medical emergencies and repatriation:
Silver cover provides up to £10 million for Repatriation and Medical emergency expenses.
Platinum Annual cover provides up to £10 million for Repatriation and Medical emergency expenses for 365 days from the start date of the policy.
Platinum single trip cover provides up to £10 million for Repatriation and Medical emergency expenses.
If you need to seek medical attention whilst abroad, please ensure that you contact the 24-hour Emergency Assistance Service for help and advice before treatment, where possible, full details can be found within the policy wording. We would advise you to keep this number in your mobile phone and give it to anyone else you are travelling with.
Considering the costs of transportation, medical escorts and possibly even an emergency air ambulance, it's easy to see how costs can rack up. For this reason, make sure your travel insurance policy has decent repatriation cover. While, a policy might appear cheap on the surface, there may be prohibitively high excesses and a number of get-out clauses for the insurer to avoid paying out.
With Holiday Extras repatriation cover, you don't have to worry about being hit with a crippling policy excess. Our policy excesses for emergency medical and repatriation costs vary depending on the level of cover and start from as little as £0.
Additional travel expenses
Included in our repatriation insurance is cover for a number of additional travel expenses you may need:
Under 18's return journey
If you are the sole adult accompanied by under 18's, there's no need to panic about how the children will get home. With our repatriation insurance, we can cover the cost of returning your children home and will even provide for a responsible escort to accompany them if necessary.
If you'd like to know more about travel insurance for children, visit our children's travel insurance page.
Pre-existing medical conditions
Don't fret that your pre-existing medical condition will exempt you from our repatriation insurance. We specialise in medical policies that cover all kinds of conditions - our discreet screening process is quick and simple, making it easy for us to create a bespoke policy tailored to your specific needs.
For more information on travel insurance with a pre-existing medical condition, visit our travel insurance with medical conditions page.
*Prices based on 1 person aged 28 with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe excl. Spain/Cyprus/Malta on a single-trip policy for 7 days. Price correct as of April 2019.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 01693250.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.