Loading, please wait...
If you're travelling within the UK, pick the best UK travel insurance. Our policies start from just *
Whether it's for a pilgrimage to the Old Trafford, a cultural tour of England or a lazy getaway, the city of Manchester has much to offer weekend breakers and foreign visitors alike. Check out our list of the top things to see and do in Manchester and be inspired for your trip!
1. Take a stroll into the Northern Quarter - known as the trendy, hipster area of the city, the Northern Quarter is the perfect place to grab an artisan coffee, enjoy a gourmet brunch or savour a pint of locally brewed ale. There are many spots with independent shops selling quirky and original products, from kooky t-shirts to vintage homeware and locally designed jewellery.
2. Ancoats - away from the beaten tourist track, located in the north-western portion of the city, Ancoats is the new up-and-coming neighbourhood. Once the gritty powerhouse of Manchester's textile industry, Ancoats is now home to a host of quirky bars and eateries from Scandinavian cuisine, to Japanese tea-houses and mexican style restaurants.
3. The Curry Mile - with the largest concentration of Asian-style restaurants in the UK, this stretch of Wilmslow road in southern Manchester is fondly nicknamed 'The Curry Mile'. With restaurants open 24hrs, there's always time to sate your curry needs!
4. Junkyard Golf - located in central Manchester not far from Deansgate and Oxford Road stations, Junkyard Golf is a quirky, more 'adult' take on mini-golf. Grab a few drinks and navigate round the course while jamming out to the likes of Foals or the Arctic Monkeys.
5. The Royal Exchange - this elegant building designed in the classical style was once used as the principal hub for cotton and textile exchange. Step inside this grade two listed building and feel yourself transported back in time. Today the Royal Exchange houses a working theatre showing many contemporary and classic plays.
6. Castlefield - The historic inner city area home to the ruins of a Roman fort, the Bridgewater Canal and the old passenger railway terminus. During the summer many outdoor events are hosted in the area, from film screenings, to concerts to open-air plays. The perfect place for a leisurely stroll on a fine day, with many green spaces and quaint water-ways from back when they used to ship cotton out of the city. Find out what's on in Castlefield during the summer months.
7. The John Rylands Library - a must-visit for fans of history and Harry Potter alike. Described as real-life Hogwarts, the John Rylands Library is a resplendent building designed in the neo-gothic style by the wife of the late Mr. Ryland.
8. Heaton Park -If you find yourself longing for nature and greenery, then head over to Heaton Park to the north of the city. Here you'll find 600 acres of green space along with a farm animal centre and a Grade 1 listed, 18th century country house.
9. The Science and Industry museum - delve into cities' rich history by exploring the many exhibitions highlighting Manchester's' achievements and contributions in the fields of technology, science and industry.
10. The Lowry - the ultra-modern landmark of the The Quays district, The Lowery is an impressive contemporary structure home to two theatres and numerous galleries exhibiting the work of modern artists. Check out what's on at the moment
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.