Tampa is one of the most popular Florida destinations for family-friendly activities. With a subtropical climate, its also a great place to relax and top up your tan.
Sun, sand, sports and shopping: Tampas got it all
As the third largest city in the state of Florida, Tampa has a lot to offer. Those looking for some peace and quiet can stroll along the boardwalk at Lettuce Lake Park - and shopaholics can quickly pick up some souvenirs at the International Plaza Mall close to Tampa airport. The islands in Tampa Bay also boast over 35 miles of bright sandy beaches combined, giving you plenty of space to soak up some rays on any of the citys average 361 days of sunshine every year.
At mealtimes, youre sure to find a restaurant that suits everyone in your party. Fusion cuisine, home-cooked favourites and family diners are all within easy reach.
A trip to Tampa is guaranteed to brighten your mood at any time of year. Get ahead of the city crowds with some forward planning. Weve listed some of our favourite activities and places to eat below.
Top 10 ways to beat the heat
With an average daily high of 32 degrees in summer, Tampa offers plenty to do indoors on sweltering days. When youre done sunbathing, try one of these great attractions:
- Enjoy a show at the Tampa Theatre
- Swim with fish or dolphins at the Florida Aquarium
- Head to the Tampa Museum of Art to soak up some culture
- Visit the Glazer Childrens Museum with the family
- Challenge the laws of physics at the Museum of Science & Industry
- Take a walk on the wild side at Tampas Lowry Park Zoo
- Stop by Busch Gardens and get up close with an orangutan
- Take a helicopter tour of Tampa Bay and Davis Island
- Chill out and keep cool at any of Tampas indoor ice skating rinks
- Cheer on a hometown sports team at the Tampa Bay Times Forum
Top 5 all-American restaurants
No matter what youre hungry for, youll find a Tampa restaurant to satisfy your taste buds. Here are our picks for some good old-fashioned American eats:
- Make Daily Eats your first stop for breakfast or brunch
- Visit Mels Hot Dogs and try out their famous menu
- Try Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish - they also do classic burgers
- Enjoy delicious food, bowling and free Wi-Fi at GameTime
- Sample The Refinerys weekly menu before it changes