When you think of the Canary Islands, you think of Tenerife. More than 10 million holidaymakers visit the island every year, and its no wonder since it claims vibrant nightlife and every activity you could think of. Tenerife South airport has a regular shuttle bus into the main centre during the day.
The island thats hot in more ways than one
Tenerife is the most popular of the seven Canary Islands and a very family-friendly destination with lots of restaurants and clubs for both adults and the kids. Make a splash with some watersports, or relax after a hard days shopping in Drago Park - the home of a 1,000 year old tree.
Tenerife doesnt have an off-season, as lots of activities and excursions run all year round. Winter is a popular time for endurance mountain bikers and cross-country cyclists to take to the mountains.
Top 5 beaches on Tenerife
One of the main attractions of the island is the coastline, as the beaches are well maintained and some of them have won awards for cleanliness. Weve picked out some of the best:
- Lounge on Playa de las Americas on the southern coast
- The Playa del Dugue beach has Blue Flag status
- Stroll on the darker sand at El Bollullo
- Head to Playa Jardin to sunbathe among the palm trees
- Las Teresitas is tucked away and a little quieter than other beaches on the island
Top 10 things to do
Tenerife has everything you could want on your holidays - including an entire town made for tourists, Las Americas. If you cant decide what to do, try one of these suggestions:
- Visit the World Heritage Site city of La Laguna
- See dolphins at Aqualand in the Costa Adeje region
- Take a walk on the wild side at Loro Parque Zoo
- Hike or take the cable car to the summit of Mount Teide and admire the view
- Admire natures handiwork - the oddly-shaped Roques de Garcia
- Feel the opera-quality acoustics at the Auditorio de Tenerife
- See the other side of Tenerife in the rustic Old Town
- Take Tenerifes most popular walk into the exciting yet perfectly safe Hells Ravine
- Head to Karting Club Tenerife and race your friends
- Take a look around the military and natural history museums