Home to people from more than 200 different countries, Dubai is one of the worlds most cosmopolitan cities. A captivating metropolis where East meets West, vast shopping malls and soaring skyscrapers sit alongside bustling souks and a traditional Bedouin village.
A fascinating destination for everyone
Dubai is safe, clean and prosperous. Shopaholics will be in heaven with more than 40 malls where you can browse designer goods or relax in restaurants and cafes. And dont miss out on the souks. Youll now find electronic goods alongside spices, silks, perfumes and gold, but the shopkeepers and customers haggling animatedly for bargains and the smell of bread baking in the tandoors havent changed over the centuries.
The food in Dubai is good too, and its hard to imagine a more varied offering, from Arabian to Mexican, Russian and all the European favourites. Be sure to try traditional Emirati food, with flavours of cinnamon, saffron and turmeric, along with almonds, pistachios, limes and dried fruit.
Top 10 things to do in Dubai
Theres so much to explore in Dubai. Here you are a few you mustnt miss:
- Take a Desert Safari tour in a 4x4 before enjoying a belly dancing barbecue
- Go camel riding, sand-boarding or sand-skiing
- Ski Dubai has a revolving ski slope, an artificial mountain range, a cable lift, a snow maze, an ice slide and penguins
- Haggle for a bargain at the souks
- Visit the Burj Khalifa, the worlds tallest building
- Take a trip to the traditional Bedouin village to see villagers milking animals while children play nearby
- In the winter, watch a camel race at the Al Marmoum track /li>
- Take a tour of the beautiful Jumeirah Mosque
- Cruise along Dubai Creek and see major landmarks, including the National Bank of Dubai and Sheikh Saeeds house
- Swim with dolphins in the Dubai Dolphinarium
Top 5 Dubai shopping malls
- Ibn Battuta - Designed in honour of an Arabian explorer, the mall is divided into six courts. The architecture of each reflects one of six places Battuta explored: Egypt, China, India, Persia, Tunisia and Andalusia
- Mall of the Emirates - Home to 466 stores, as well as Ski Dubai and Magic Planet, a family entertainment centre
- Burjuman Centre - Here youll find all the designer brands, and the mall is also built around sunny courtyards and attractive gardens
- Al Ghurair Centre - One for fashionistas with all the high street shops as well as shops specialising in local fashion
- Dubai Mall - With more than 1,200 stores, this is the worlds largest mall. Its also home to the Gold Souk and an aquarium