Its architecture and scenic setting on the banks of the Danube have earned Budapest the epithet Paris of the East. The city is considered one of the most beautiful in Europe and is home to an extensive World Heritage Site.
Twin cities of culture
Budapest is incredibly rich in culture. The city has more than 800 monuments, over 200 museums and galleries, 40 theatres, seven concert halls and an opera house. It is also one of the few cities in the world where there is a high school teaching folk dance.
In fact, its actually a conglomerate of two cities, Buda and Pest, based on either side of the Danube river.
Top 5 cultural attractions
- St Stephens Basilica: The most important church in Hungary is named in honour of the countrys first king, whose right hand is enshrined there. One of the citys two tallest buildings, it is a frequent concert venue
- Matthias Church: This colourful, neo-Gothic church is home to the Ecclesiastical Art Museum
- Museum of Fine Arts: Home to a collection of more than 100,000 pieces of art divided into six sections: Egyptian, antique, old sculpture, old paintings, modern art and graphics
- Palace of Arts: Home to the Bartók National Concert Hall; the Ludwig contemporart art museum with paintings by Picasso and Yoko Ono; and the Festival Theatre
- Vajdahunyad Castle: The castle is a mix of different architectural styles and houses the Agricultural Museum of Hungary, the biggest agricultural museum in Europe
Top 5 things to do in Budapest
- Wander down Andrássy út, an elegant, two-mile-long tree-lined street full of neo-Renaissance mansions and townhouses with impressive facades. It is also one of Budapest's main shopping streets, with plenty of cafes, restaurants and theatres too
- Visit Heroes Square and admire the Millennium Memorial with statues of important figures in the countrys history. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier stands in front of the memorial
- Watch a production in the richly-decorated Hungarian State Opera House
- Take a stroll in City Park, a 302-acre public park that houses an amusement park, a swimming pool, two museums and the largest outdoor skating rink in central Europe
- Take a dip in one of the thermal baths Budapest is famed for