Loading, please wait...
Medical Travel insurance
Finding suitable travel insurance with a medical condition isn't necessarily the hard part. It's finding a provider that won't compromise on comprehensive cover and a tailored policy for your needs. At Holiday Extras, we cover the majority of pre-existing medical conditions, and all medical conditions will be considered. With this in mind, it is important for us to know your medical history — both past and present — so we can arrange the most suitable travel insurance policy with your medical condition considered.
Can you get travel insurance with a pre-existing medical condition?
Yes, you can certainly get travel insurance medical conditions. You will need to declare any pre-existing medical conditions you have (or have had in the past) when you are applying for the travel insurance. You can either do this online or over the phone by speaking to a member of our friendly and confidential customer service team.
When you are purchasing travel insurance, we will ask you questions to determine whether your insurance will be with medical conditions or not. These questions will include whether anyone on the policy has/is...
- Been treated for a medical condition which has been deemed or referred to as a serious or reoccurring medical condition in the last 2 years
- Been referred to a specialist or consultant at a hospital for tests, diagnosis or treatment in the last 2 years
- Currently awaiting any tests, treatments or non-routine hospital appointments
- Has ever had a heart or circulatory condition, type of cancer, a breathing condition, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes or a bowel condition or disease
If you answer yes to any of the above questions, this will indicate that somebody on the policy has a medical condition that will need to be declared. Yourself or someone within your policy will then need to undertake the screening process which is specifically designed for customers with a pre-existing medical condition.
This discreet screening process both online and over the phone, has been designed to ensure you get cover that's tailored to your requirements - giving you peace of mind when travelling. Give a member of our confidential and friendly team a call on 0800 3160 308 quoting WY992, or get a quote online and declare your medical condition during the quote. If you will be travelling with medication check out our page full of helpful tips and advice. If you're travelling with diabetes we also have handy information for that too.
What is a pre-existing medical condition for travel insurance?
A precise definition of a 'pre-existing medical condition' can vary. A helpful explanation of a pre-existing medical condition is that it's any illness, sickness, disease, injury, or other physical or mental ailment or condition that, with acceptable medical certainty, existed at the time of your application for travel insurance or during a specific number of years prior to the date of your application. You are okay to travel with a medical condition as long as you are fit to travel and undertake your planned journey and it this has been declared when you are buying insurance.
When purchasing medical travel insurance, a 'pre-existing medical condition' will usually refer to any kind of medical condition (or symptoms) for which medical advice, diagnosis or treatment has been given or recommended by someone of the medical practitioner at any time prior to the point of departure for your chosen trip. You would not qualify for cover if you've been advised not to travel if you had consulted your doctor. You should always refer to the policy wording for the exact definition.
How to book
To book online, or to get a quote, simply click below and consider the following information:
- - Region: UK, Europe or Worldwide?
- - Date: When will you be going?
- - Money: The total cost of the holiday including travel?
- - Health: Any pre-existing medical conditions?
What could be considered a pre-existing condition?
Various conditions could be considered a pre-existing medical condition and would need to be declared on your medical travel insurance. These include:
Minor medical conditions that you do not need to declare
You do not have to declare minor ailments e.g. hay fever, tonsillitis, ear infections, colds/flu, skin irritations, chiropody, dental treatment etc. if:
- You were only prescribed short term antibiotics
- You were only prescribed non-prescription painkillers, creams or ointments
- You have had no further problems since
- You have been advised by your doctor that it is safe to travel
Holiday Extras' Travel Insurance policy cover levels
Why choose Holiday Extras?
- - Voted best insurance provider 12 years running.
- - Policies with no excess available.
- - UK based contact centre and 24/7 helpline.
- - No maximum age on single trip policies.*
- - Over 25 years experience selling Travel Insurance.
Single Trip and Annual Trip Policies
As an 12-year award-winning travel insurance provider, Holiday Extras is a great place to protect your holiday experience, your belongings and your pocket for either a single trip or for multiple trips throughout the year, with our annual travel insurance policy.
A medical condition doesn't mean you need to miss out on fun, and suitable travel insurance with medical conditions ensures you're covered to try something new. We have winter sports cover and additional sports cover available for an additional fee to add to your policy so whatever the journey, we'll make sure you have the right protection you need to suit your trip. These options provide cover for the likes of search and rescue, equipment hire and in the case of hitting the slopes - avalanche cover is also included. Age limits apply
Frequently asked questions
Remember, you can book your policy online any time or via our UK based call centre on 0800 3160 308 quoting WY992.
- Find more information about cover for your condition below:
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Fibromyalgia Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- HIV Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lung Cancer Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Myeloma Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with medical conditions:
- Travel Insurance Child with Medical Conditions
- Travel Insurance for Child with Autism
- Travel Insurance for Child with Cystic Fibrosis
- Travel Insurance for Child with Heart Conditions
- Travelling with a Disabled Child
- Child Travelling with Medication
- Additional information:
- Do you have to declare medical conditions for travel insurance?
- Are mental health conditions classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What is classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What medical conditions can stop me from flying?
- Travelling with Arthritis
- Travelling with Diabetes
- Travelling with Medication
- Guide to Flying with Back Pain
- Which countries have the best medical care?
- Deep Vein Thrombosis when Travelling
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travel vaccinations:
- Travel Vaccinations
- BCG Tuberculosis Vaccine
- Cholera Vaccine
- Hepatitis A Vaccine
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine
- Meningitis Vaccine
- Polio Tetanus and Diphtheria Vaccine
- Rabies Vaccine
- Typhoid Vaccine
- Yellow Fever Vaccine
- Upgrade your policy with extra cover to suit how you like to travel:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Our policies:
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Coach Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance Europe
- Cheap Travel Insurance Worldwide
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Single-Trip Family Travel Insurance
- Annual Family Travel Insurance
- Over 50's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 75's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Over 85's Travel Insurance
- Student travel:
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Nomad Travel Insurance
- School Trip Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Sports cover:
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Camping Travel Insurance
- Football Travel Insurance
- Horse Riding Travel Insurance
- Hiking Travel Insurance
- Kayaking Travel Insurance
- Kitesurfing Travel Insurance
- Motorcycle Travel Insurance
- Mountain Biking Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Travel Insurance
- Safari Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba Diving Travel Insurance
- Ski Travel Insurance
- Snowboarding Travel Insurance
- Surfing Travel Insurance
- Trekking Travel Insurance
- Windsurfing Travel Insurance
- Further information:
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Brexit and Travel
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- EHIC Information
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- Group Travel Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- Independent Travel Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Travel insurance advice for your destination:
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Costa Rica
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Hong Kong
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Visa Waiver Program
- B1 visa
- B2 visa
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.