Children up to 18 travel free with an adult policy holder, meaning your family travel insurance policy can cost as little as £27.90*
Providing the best travel insurance for families
There's nothing like a trip away to bring the family together, and with Holiday Extras family travel insurance you can benefit from premium protection for you and your children. Our standard policies provide generous medical expenses and cancellation cover, and in addition, if you're a more intrepid family you can add winter sports cover to ensure you're protected on adventurous trips. We'll also support you if your baggage goes missing, or your tour operator runs into difficulties.
What are we covered for?
Families who travel with Holiday Extras travel insurance can choose from two types of policies and three levels of protection:
Single trip policy
If you've planned one special holiday this year for your family, then our single trip policy could be right for you. With cover for each trip to to up to 365 days, there's no limit to a holiday with something for the whole family.
- Basic cover guarantees £500 cancellation cover per person, £2 million of medical costs and £500 for your baggage.
- Standard cover provides £1,000 per person in cancellation cover, £5 million of medical protection and baggage cover at £1,500.
- Premium cover offers £5,000 for cancellations per person, £10 million medical cover and £2,000 baggage cover.
Annual multi-trip policy
You may be a family of frequent travellers. Whether you're travelling independently or with the whole gang, if you embark on more than two trips a year then a family annual trip policy can be a real money-saver! You'll receive cover for an unlimited amount of trips given that each trip does not exceed 23 days.
- Multi-trip cover provides the maximum level of protection available including medical cover, cancellation costs and baggage loss.
The perks of family travel insurance
- Adults named on the same policy can travel independently (ensuring that no under 18's travel unaccompanied).
- One policy for the whole family means one payment - and only one policy to look after!
- Children aged up to 18 travel free with an adult policyholder.
- 24/7 Emergency assistance.
Family travel insurance with kids over 18
If you're in the market for a family travel insurance policy, you may have had some difficulty finding an accurate quote, if one or more of your children is 18 or over.
On most family insurance policies, only two adults are allowed, and if one of your children is 18 or over, then they too will sadly be classed as an adult, making it impossible to put them on a family travel insurance policy.
If you are travelling with adult children and are looking to get the whole family insured properly, you usually have two options:
- Book a group travel insurance policy (this is recommended if all your children are 18 or above) Take out separate policies for your adult children (e.g in a family of 4 where one of the children is over 18, it may be more cost effective to take out a family travel insurance policy for the parents and younger child, and a separate insurance policy for the child over 18).
- If you decide to go for the second option and take out a family policy as well as a policy for your child over 18, then its better to take out both policies with the same insurer, as this will make the process much easier should you need to make a claim.
How do I book?
Our competitively priced family travel insurance is easy to book. You can choose to book online by completing the policy form above or via our UK-based call centre. It's free to call and you'll be able to discuss and compare our great policies with a member of our insurance call centre team.
Visit our HX Blog for some top tips for happy family travels.
Children's travel insurance
With children entitled to FREE cover with an adult policyholder, that's more money for the spending pot! For more information, visit our travel insurance for children page.
*Price based on 2 adults (aged 18 and up) and 2 under 18s with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe excl. Spain, Cyprus, Malta, Turkey and Greece from 31/07/18 until 07/08/18. Price correct as of July 2018.