Loading, please wait...
Car Hire Excess and Travel Insurance
The thought of being hit with a hefty car hire charge whilst on holiday is not a comforting thought. At Holiday Extras we provide insurance to protect you against any large excess charges. By choosing one of our travel insurance policies you can then select car hire excess as an add-on, so you're covered if you encounter an unexpected bill from your car hire arrangement. So relax, enjoy your time cruising down the winding roads of the French Riviera and don't worry about any large pay-outs: we've got this.
Our travel insurance with car hire excess covers you for rental vehicle key, drop off charges and the costs of vehicle misfuelling. This car hire excess policy also includes comprehensive protection for rental vehicle lock out and loss of use of insured vehicle. With these extra benefits included it's far better to spend a small amount of your pre-holiday budget on protection rather than risk a chunk of your holiday spending money later.
Important - Car Hire excess cover is only available as an add-on when you book travel insurance with Holiday Extras and cannot be purchased as a stand alone product.
Don't breakdown over the thought of car hire excess!
All rental agreements come with an excess, including those you take out on holiday abroad. On a standard policy the point of car hire excess is perhaps to ensure drivers don't make a claim for every dent or scratch, which reduces the number of claims and can keep the insurers costs down. In some cases — particularly with car hire companies abroad — the car hire excess can be extremely high.
In simple terms travel insurance with car hire excess cover allows you to claim back some or all over the excess of the claim you make, though be advised to check the policy wording to see the exact cover amounts available. Some car rental companies abroad may offer their own excess waiver or collision damage waiver insurance, though this can be very costly. Remember that not having holiday insurance with car hire excess cover at all can prove even more expensive in the event of a claim.
You can book your travel insurance with car hire excess today by calling our UK-based call centre and speaking directly to a member of our insurance team on 0800 093 1900.
Car hire excess insurance summary of cover*
Below is the cover available on the excess amount shown in your rental agreement, which will be refunded if the insured vehicle is accidentally damaged, involved in an accident or stolen, during the rental period.
|Excess / Deposit reimbursement|
|Rental car key cover
- Lost, stolen or damaged keys
- Lock out
£500 (£2,000 within the policy year)
*This is a summary of the main cover limits. It is advised to read the rest of the policy for the full terms and conditions
What added comprehensive protection is also included?
Rental vehicle key cover
Rental vehicle key cover is included covering up to £500 for each claim incident (up to £2000 in total in any one policy year) to replace the keys to the insured vehicle if these are lost, stolen or damaged during the rental period. This also includes, where necessary, the costs to replace locks or for a locksmith to break into the insured vehicle.
Rental vehicle lock out
You will be paid up to £60 in total for the cost of a locksmith to open the insured vehicle without causing any damage, if you are left locked out of the insured vehicle during your rental period.
Rental vehicle misfuelling
If you take out this travel insurance with car hire excess policy, rental vehicle misfuelling cover is included as standard. Holiday Extras will pay up to £500 for each claim incident (up to £2000 in total for any one policy year) for the costs to clean out the engine and fuel system, if you put the wrong type of fuel into the insured vehicle. This will also include, where necessary, the costs to tow the insured vehicle to the local garage for the repairs to be carried out.
Loss of use of insured vehicle
Also included with this car hire excess cover is up to £25 per day (up to £300 in total), that you are unable to use the insured vehicle during the rental period because of illness or injury.
This will only apply if:
- There is no other authorised driver able to drive the insured vehicle
- You get written confirmation from a doctor that you have to be confined to bed for medical reasons and the dates you are unable to drive the vehicle
In the unfortunate event that this takes place within your car hire excess cover there is protection and we will pay you or your personal representative up to £1,000 in total, if you are physically assaulted by a third party during your rental period following:
- the theft or attempted theft of the insured vehicle
Please note: Our travel insurance with car hire excess policy does not act as a replacement for your hire car insurance. It is an addition to your regular insurance policy that you will buy alongside your rental agreement — it may even be included in the rental price so it is worth shopping around!
It is also important to ensure that the policy with your car rental company does not already include car hire excess insurance. Unfortunately, some companies aren't always clear about what is covered under their insurance and it can be very expensive, so it pays to be wise about the small print!
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.