Big January Giveaway - Click Here For More Details
Loading, please wait...
Call our Kent-based team on 0800 3160 308 and quote WY922, or book online to find the policy for you
Finding the most suitable travel insurance for people with depression
Finding the right standard travel insurance policy can feel incredibly stressful when there are so many options out there. But not to worry, the last thing we want is for you to feel bogged down with choosing the right policy for you.
Take a look at our table below for an idea about the types of different cover you can expect to get with each policy:
Though all medical screening can be easily completed online, booking medical travel insurance for some forms of depression, such as bipolar disorder can only be done through one of our insurance specialists over the phone. If this proves to be the case with your condition, feel free to contact a member of our specialist team on our UK based helpline for friendly, personal assistance in booking your travel insurance policy.
Holiday Extras Depression Travel Insurance
Our travel insurance policies cover the essentials, including medical emergencies, repatriation back to the UK and lost medications to name a few. Complete your medical screening through the form on the top left for your personalised quote.
Do I have to declare anxiety on travel insurance?
In some cases, people suffering with anxiety decide to keep quiet about their condition when taking out a travel insurance policy, fearing that if they reveal the condition, their insurance premium will go up significantly.
If you notice a significant difference in your premium when declaring anxiety, it can be tempting to skip mentioning the condition. After all, what possible connection could there be between breaking a leg and your anxiety? If anything, surely having anxiety should reduce the likelihood of having an accident, as people with anxiety are generally less likely to do things out of their comfort zone?
While these reasonings appear logical, the reality is that if you are medically registered as having any mental or physical health condition and you fail to declare this, then your travel insurance policy may be rendered invalid. For this reason, it's always crucial to declare any medical conditions you have when taking out a travel insurance policy.
Tips for travelling with Depression
Bring enough medication - The last thing you'll want to happen is to run out of medication in an unfamiliar country. In many places abroad, certain antidepressants aren't readily available so make sure you have enough medication to last for at least the whole duration of the trip. If possible, leave a spare bottle of pills with a close friend or relative at home who can mail this to you, should you lose your medication while abroad.
Plan ahead - Make things easier for yourself by planning ahead effectively. If you are travelling between time zones and you know jet lag will be a problem, plan to take a couple of days rest when you arrive at your destination. If possible, try to book accommodation that is easy to get to from the airport, so you can minimise potential causes for stress.
Know your limits - Remember that the whole purpose of a Holiday is to relax and have a good time — don't feel obligated to push yourself unnecessarily. Try to avoid excessive consumption of alcohol while travelling and when at your holiday destination, as this can worsen your already disrupted sleep patterns and contribute to a poor mood. Also, it's important to note that your policy will be invalid if any injury, accident or cancellation is caused while you are under the influence of non-prescribed drugs, solvents, or excessive alcohol consumption.
Don't let other people make you feel bad - The people you are travelling with may not fully understand the nature of your condition, and might make you feel bad when you have to sit out a few activities on a particularly bad day. If this happens, remember that you are the one with the condition, and you know how best to deal with it.
Try to set up a regular routine - Whether we realise it or not, our body likes a regular routine. When we go on holiday, our normal routine is usually broken. To combat this, try to create some form of loose routine, by which you get a regular amount of sleep and exercise. These are two factors that will massively contribute to your mood.
Make use of your support networks - This is much easier today than it used to be. Just making a brief Skype or Whatsapp call to a close friend or relative, can really help when you're at a low ebb.
For more information on travelling with a depressive disorder, take a look on the brilliant website of the charity, Mind.
Why choose Holiday Extras?
- - Voted best insurance provider 11 years running.
- - Policies with no excess available.
- - UK based contact centre and 24/7 helpline.
- - Over 25 years experience selling Travel Insurance.
Looking for information regarding a different condition?
Be sure to have a read up on our pre-existing conditions travel insurance.
- Find more information about cover for your condition below:
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Fibromyalgia Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- HIV Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lung Cancer Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Myeloma Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with medical conditions:
- Travel Insurance Child with Medical Conditions
- Travel Insurance for Child with Autism
- Travel Insurance for Child with Cystic Fibrosis
- Travel Insurance for Child with Heart Conditions
- Travelling with a Disabled Child
- Child Travelling with Medication
- Additional information:
- Do you have to declare medical conditions for travel insurance?
- Are mental health conditions classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What is classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What medical conditions can stop me from flying?
- Travelling with Arthritis
- Travelling with Diabetes
- Travelling with Medication
- Guide to Flying with Back Pain
- Which countries have the best medical care?
- Deep Vein Thrombosis when Travelling
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travel vaccinations:
- Travel Vaccinations
- BCG Tuberculosis Vaccine
- Cholera Vaccine
- Hepatitis A Vaccine
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine
- Meningitis Vaccine
- Polio Tetanus and Diphtheria Vaccine
- Rabies Vaccine
- Typhoid Vaccine
- Yellow Fever Vaccine
- Upgrade your policy with extra cover to suit how you like to travel:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Our policies:
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Coach Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance Europe
- Cheap Travel Insurance Worldwide
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Single-Trip Family Travel Insurance
- Annual Family Travel Insurance
- Over 50's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 75's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Over 85's Travel Insurance
- Student travel:
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Nomad Travel Insurance
- School Trip Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Sports cover:
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Camping Travel Insurance
- Football Travel Insurance
- Horse Riding Travel Insurance
- Hiking Travel Insurance
- Kayaking Travel Insurance
- Kitesurfing Travel Insurance
- Motorcycle Travel Insurance
- Mountain Biking Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Travel Insurance
- Safari Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba Diving Travel Insurance
- Ski Travel Insurance
- Snowboarding Travel Insurance
- Surfing Travel Insurance
- Trekking Travel Insurance
- Windsurfing Travel Insurance
- Further information:
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Brexit and Travel
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- EHIC Information
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- Group Travel Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- Independent Travel Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Travel insurance advice for your destination:
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Costa Rica
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Hong Kong
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Visa Waiver Program
- B1 visa
- B2 visa
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.