Loading, please wait...
Get dependable cover for your holiday from only *
Getting appropriate travel insurance for your trip to New Zealand
Many travellers have fallen for the wild beauty of New Zealand, its vast natural landscapes and rich cultural heritage inspiring awe and capturing the imagination. Though you may be eager to begin your journey through this amazing country, you mustn't forget to have a reliable travel insurance policy in place, covering you for all the activities you have planned. Whether its bungee jumping from the Kawarau bridge or trekking along the mighty Franz Josef glacier, you can be sure to find a policy that suits your needs with us.
Booking NZ Travel Insurance with Holiday Extras
We offer two types of policies (single trip and annual trip) with four levels of cover, and some optional extras, so you can tailor your policy to meet precisely what you need. Choose whether you want Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum level cover and then decide whether you want any of our optional extras, such as winter sports or gadget cover.
Levels of cover
Depending on your budget, we have a level of cover to suit every traveller to their journey. With high levels of protection and a 24 hour emergency contact team, there's no compromising on your cover.
- Bronze cover offers up to £500 of baggage insurance, £1000 of cancellation cover per person, as well as up to £5 million towards medical costs.
- Silver cover provides medical cover of up to £10 million, baggage cover of £1,500 and cancellation insurance of up to £2,500 per person
- Gold cover gives you up to £10 million, baggage cover up to £2,000 and cancellation cover up to £5,000 per person.
- Platinum cover gives you medical protection up to £10 million, baggage cover up to £2,000, cancellation cover up to £5,000 per person, gadget and wedding cover, zero excess and up £500 for lost, stolen or damaged passport and documents.
Travel Insurance for Activities in New Zealand
Adrenaline highs-New Zealand has rightly been described as the adrenaline junkies' paradise, being famous for canyon swinging, skydiving, jet boat riding, scuba diving, and being the home of the world's first commercial bungee. Under our annual and single trip policies, you are covered for a range of activities. For activities that carry a higher risk, you may need to take out one of our three extra activities packs which can be added to your policy when making a quote.
Winter sport-New Zealand's Southern Alps making for a great skiing location, being larger than the Swiss, French and Austrian Alps combined. If you're planning a skiing holiday, it may be a good idea to add the winter sports add-on to your single trip policy, which gives cover for things like piste closure and the loss, theft or damage of ski equpiment.
Working Holiday-For British citizens, New Zealand is a great place for a working holiday, as you are automatically allowed a working holiday visa for 23 months (provided you're under 30 years of age). So, if you're thirsting for a new challenge, then experiencing what it's like to live and work in this country may be just what you're looking for. Check out our working holiday page for more information on getting the perfect cover for a working holiday.
Practical advice for travelling in New Zealand
Health and safety-New Zealand is generally a safe place, with a low crime rate, no endemic diseases and an excellent healthcare system. However, you should of course take the same care with your personal safety and possessions as you would anywhere else. This means taking copies of important documents and recording the serial numbers of any valuable items you may have like laptops and mobile phones. Remember, a carefully selected travel insurance policy can work wonders in times of distress, however, there is no substitute for caution and common sense! Should you ever need to use it, the free emergency telephone number in New Zealand is 111 through which you can contact the police, fire service, ambulance and search and rescue services.
Currency-The unit of currency in New Zealand is the dollar (NZ$) with no limit on the amount of foreign currency that can be brought in or taken out of the country. However, any traveller carrying 10,000 NZ$ or more on their person is required to fill out a Border Cash Report. When it comes to making currency exchanges, it's always wise to shop around for the best rates. Very often, the best currency exchange rates can be found at home, so it can pay to perform any currency exchanges before venturing off on your trip. Be wary of carrying excessive amounts of cash on your person however, as the personal money clause only covers sums of up to £500 (Platinum cover) and this can only be provided upon your return from holiday. It's always wise to have a combination of hard cash and some form of plastic.
Top 10 places to visit in New Zealand
- Rotorua-Described as the thermal wonderland of New Zealand, this unique landscape of fuming geysers and hot springs is a definite must see.
- Franz Josef Glacier-One of South Westland's major tourist attractions, visitors can walk right to the foot of the gigantic glacier. If you're feeling brave, it's only a short helicopter ride to the top, for a trek along the glacier edge.
- Hobbiton-For fans of the fantasy epic, a trip to Matamata to visit the set of Hobbiton is an absolute must!
- Tongariro National Park-New Zealand's first national park contains a diverse range of ecosystems, from tranquil lakes to active volcanoes.
- Abel Tasman National Park-A hiker's dream, this national park located on the northern tip of the country's southern island makes a great destination for some serious hiking!
- Sky Tower-Visit the Sky Tower, the tallest free standing structure in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Napier Art Deco-For the more arty traveller, there's the city of Napier with its striking, distinctive architecture. Every February, there is the art deco weekend, an event dedicated to vintage style and cars.
- Bay of Islands-A picturesque area containing over 144 islands with numerous secluded beaches and bays to enjoy. The place is bursting with things to do. There's the colourful marine life to discover, yachting, fishing or just plain lounging!
- Milford sound-Located at the northernmost end of the Fiordland National Park, Milford sound offers staggering coastal scenery, with a beautiful vista of towering mountains and dark waters.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.