Loading, please wait...
Getting the right travel insurance for your trip to New Zealand
Many travellers have fallen for the wild beauty of New Zealand, its vast natural landscapes and rich cultural heritage inspiring awe and capturing the imagination. Though you may be eager to begin your journey through this amazing country, you mustn't forget to have a reliable travel insurance policy in place, covering you for all the activities you have planned. Whether its bungee jumping from the Kawarau bridge or trekking along the mighty Franz Josef glacier, you can be sure to find a policy that suits your needs with us.
Booking NZ Travel Insurance with Holiday Extras
We offer two types of policies (single trip and annual trip) with four levels of cover, and some optional extras, so you can tailor your policy to meet precisely what you need. Choose whether you want Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum level cover and then decide whether you want any of our optional extras, such as winter sports or gadget cover.
Travel Insurance for Activities in New Zealand
Adrenaline highs-New Zealand has rightly been described as the adrenaline junkies' paradise, being famous for canyon swinging, skydiving, jet boat riding, scuba diving, and being the home of the world's first commercial bungee. Under our annual and single trip policies, you are covered for a range of activities. Don't worry if you the activity you have planned doesn't appear on our list as all you need to do to arrange additional cover with our team is to call our FREE helpline.
Winter sport-New Zealand's Southern Alps making for a great skiing location, being larger than the Swiss, French and Austrian Alps combined. We recommend adding the winter sports add-on to your single trip policy to ensure you're ski cover needs are met. Make sure you check through the policy wording before you purchase any add-ons, as you may in fact already be covered for certain activities under our extensive normal policies. For instance, if you were planning on engaging in some trekking, then you may find that you are already covered under our single trip policy!
Working Holiday-For British citizens, New Zealand is a great place for a working holiday, as you are automatically allowed a working holiday visa for 23 months (provided you're under 30 years of age). So, if you're thirsting for a new challenge, then experiencing what it's like to live and work in this country may be just what you're looking for. Check out our working holiday page for more information on getting the perfect cover for a working holiday.
Practical advice for travelling in New Zealand
Health and safety-New Zealand is generally a safe place, with a low crime rate, no endemic diseases and an excellent healthcare system. However, you should of course take the same care with your personal safety and possessions as you would anywhere else. This means taking copies of important documents and recording the serial numbers of any valuable items you may have like laptops and mobile phones. Remember, a carefully selected travel insurance policy can work wonders in times of distress, however, there is no substitute for caution and common sense! Should you ever need to use it, the free emergency telephone number in New Zealand is 111 through which you can contact the police, fire service, ambulance and search and rescue services.
Currency-The unit of currency in New Zealand is the dollar (NZ$) with no limit on the amount of foreign currency that can be brought in or taken out of the country. However, any traveller carrying 10,000 NZ$ or more on their person is required to fill out a Border Cash Report. When it comes to making currency exchanges, it's always wise to shop around for the best rates. Very often, the best currency exchange rates can be found at home, so it can pay to perform any currency exchanges before venturing off on your trip. Be wary of carrying excessive amounts of cash on your person however, as the personal money clause only covers sums of up to £350 (Platinum cover) and this can only be provided upon your return from holiday. It's always wise to have a combination of hard cash and some form of plastic.
Top 10 places to visit in New Zealand
- Rotorua-Described as the thermal wonderland of New Zealand, this unique landscape of fuming geysers and hot springs is a definite must see.
- Franz Josef Glacier-One of South Westland's major tourist attractions, visitors can walk right to the foot of the gigantic glacier. If you're feeling brave, it's only a short helicopter ride to the top, for a trek along the glacier edge.
- Hobbiton-For fans of the fantasy epic, a trip to Matamata to visit the set of Hobbiton is an absolute must!
- Tongariro National Park-New Zealand's first national park contains a diverse range of ecosystems, from tranquil lakes to active volcanoes.
- Abel Tasman National Park-A hiker's dream, this national park located on the northern tip of the country's southern island makes a great destination for some serious hiking!
- Sky Tower-Visit the Sky Tower, the tallest free standing structure in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Napier Art Deco-For the more arty traveller, there's the city of Napier with its striking, distinctive architecture. Every February, there is the art deco weekend, an event dedicated to vintage style and cars.
- Bay of Islands-A picturesque area containing over 144 islands with numerous secluded beaches and bays to enjoy. The place is bursting with things to do. There's the colourful marine life to discover, yachting, fishing or just plain lounging!
- Milford sound-Located at the northernmost end of the Fiordland National Park, Milford sound offers staggering coastal scenery, with a beautiful vista of towering mountains and dark waters.
Holiday Extras Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 01693250.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.