Loading, please wait...

Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Finding and booking travel insurance can be a potentially confusing and time-consuming affair. That's why we've put together this list of the top insurance queries, so you can spend less time being confused and more time getting on with your holiday plans.

Policy Terminology

What is an Excess in travel insurance?

The excess on a travel insurance policy refers to the amount deducted before a claim is paid out. This amount varies depending on which cover level you have chosen. If you choose our Platinum cover, you will have zero excess on all potential claims.

What is Airline Insolvency?

This is when the airline you were booked to travel with dissolves due to bankruptcy or other compromising factors. In such a situation, travellers can risk losing a significant amount of money, as tickets are rendered worthless.

While most package holidays come with ATOL protection which insures against airline insolvency, this does not extend to travellers who purchased tickets and other travel services independently. Check out the End Supplier Failure page to find out more about what how this part of a travel insurance policy works**.

How do you define a UK resident?

According to the UK government website, you are classed as a UK resident if:

  • You spend 183 days or more in the UK in the tax year
  • Your only home is in the UK (you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total, and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax year).

Can non-UK residents get travel insurance quotes?

Travellers can only obtain quotes and purchase travel insurance if they are residents of the UK, registered with a UK GP, currently in the UK and have been in the UK for more than 6 months in the last 12 months.

Our Policies

Can I purchase travel insurance online?

Yes - purchasing insurance online with Holiday Extras is quick and easy, simply enter your traveller details into the booking engine and select your level of cover with any extras you want added to your policy.

When does my policy expire and when can I renew it?

Usually, your policy will expire at midnight on the day that you specified as being the last day of your trip. With annual policies, the date of expiration will always be at midnight on the 365th day after the policy start date. If you are on an annual travel insurance policy, you will receive a renewal notice at least 28 days before the expiry of the period of insurance as shown on your policy schedule.

How many days does a single trip policy cover?

Holiday Extras single trip travel insurance policies provide travellers with comprehensive cover for one trip of up to 365 days on medical and non-medical policies, 180 days with medical cruise cover and 105 days on non-medical cruise cover. For more information, visit our single trip policies page.

What does an annual/multi-trip policy cover?

An annual multi-trip policy covers you for all your trips abroad throughout the year, for a period of 365 days from the policy start date. For more information, visit our annual travel insurance page

Will I be covered for day trips, excursions and holidays with multiple destinations?

Holiday Extras provide cover for both European and Worldwide travel. If you are travelling to multiple destinations around Europe then a European policy would do the job. For travel outside of Europe, you'll need to get yourself a Worldwide policy. Check out our our Worldwide and European insurance pages for more information on booking a policy.

Is the country I'm travelling to classed as European or Worldwide?

This is easily found out by simply by entering the name of the country into the 'country you're travelling to' box. Once you've done this, simply select the cover option that appears and you're good to move on.

Do annual policies cover travel within the UK?

In short - yes. However, the trip has to meet specific criteria. For your domestic trip to be covered it must:

  • Be at least 1 night in duration
  • Include pre-booked transportation or accommodation
  • Be at least 25 miles from your home (unless it involves a sea crossing)

Is there a limit to the number of days I can be abroad on an annual policy?

Most insurers who provide annual policies will not limit the number of trips you can take under the cover in a year, but they will have a maximum number of days you can be away for during each trip. With Holiday Extras annual travel insurance policy, the maximum number of days abroad per trip a traveller can have is 45 when booking our top level of cover.

Can you travel separately on an annual policy?

Travellers on a group annual travel insurance policy can travel independently throughout the year of cover. Take a look at our travel insurance pages for group travel insurance and couples travel insurance for more information

I have a child over 18, can they be covered on my family policy?

Most travel insurance providers class over 18's as adults, so if your children are 18 and over then, you won't be able to get a family policy. If you are still looking to save money, then we recommend taking out a group travel insurance policy.

I'm over 75, can I still get travel insurance?

For medical and non-medical single trip policies, there is no age limit - meaning that travellers 75 years and upwards can still enjoy full, comprehensive cover. If you are taking out cruise cover then the age limit is 100 years for cover with medical conditions, and 85 years for cover without medical conditions. There is also an age limit of 79 years on medical and non-medical annual policies, and 85 years on annual cruise cover with and without medical conditions. For more information, check out our over 75s travel insurance page.

What type of policy is best for me? Can I ring someone for advice?

If you are unsure as to which policy is right for you, our friendly UK-based call centre is on hand to take any of your queries. Please don't hesitate to get in touch - we're open from 8am until 9pm in the week, and from 8am until 5pm on the weekends.

What happens if I have to cancel my trip due to ill health?

All our policies come with cancellation cover - including if you needed to call off your trip due to ill-health - unless stated. For example, if you opt for our 'standard NO CANCELLATION' insurance, you would be unable to claim should you need to call off your trip for any reason. Conditions do vary from policy to policy, as well as situation to situation - so for a better understanding of what we will cover, please refer to your policy wording or if you have opted for one of our more specified policies, please call us to find out more.


What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing medical condition is any condition affecting your health prior to booking your travel insurance policy. All insurers will want to know of any pre-existing medical conditions you might have, before you purchase a policy with them. Failing to declare your pre-existing medical conditions when taking out a travel insurance policy could render your cover invalid. For more information on travel insurance with medical conditions, check out our medical conditions page.

What is medical screening?

When applying for travel insurance with medical conditions, you will usually have to complete a medical screening, either online or over the phone. This is simply a set of questions related to the condition of your health, designed to ascertain the type and severity of the pre-existing medical condition you have.

Is Pregnancy classed as a medical condition?

While this may not be the case with every insurer, with Holiday Extras, pregnant women can travel under a standard travel insurance policy up to 32 weeks into the pregnancy, provided the mother has no pre-existing medical conditions. For more information, check out our pregnancy travel insurance page.

Do you cover repatriation?

All Holiday Extras policies come with repatriation insurance as standard. You'll find the details surrounding your repatriation cover to be grouped under 'emergency medical cover' in the policy wording of your insurance policy. See our repatriation insurance page for more information

*Currently Holiday Extras no longer support the option for purchasing an excess waiver.

**Currently Holiday Extras no longer support the option for purchasing end supplier failure cover.

Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.

Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.