Loading, please wait...
Book Cruise Travel Insurance for your next Cruise from just *
Cruise travel insurance is a specific policy that covers the activities and risks more likely to be associated with a cruise holiday. This may include cover for missed port departures and cabin confinement which would not be included in most standard travel insurance packages. Whether you are looking to purchase cover for seniors, a package with medical conditions covered, or simply enough comprehensive cover to enjoy a bit of scuba diving with your partner whilst you're away - it's important to plan ahead and buy the right travel insurance for your particular needs and help ensure you have a tranquil time at sea!
Whilst booking your cruise is an exciting prospect, we understand that finding a travel insurance policy that is both affordable and reliable, isn't always fun or top of your holiday to-do list. At Holiday Extras we aim to make this experience less about the hassle and more about the holiday for you - we provide comprehensive cover for your break at a competitive price. We've been awarded "Best Travel Insurance Provider" for more than 10 years in a row at Globe Travel Awards to prove it!
Why choose Holiday Extras?
- - Voted best insurance provider for over 12 years
- - Maximum age limit of 85 years old on single-trip policies.
- - Single and annual policies available.
- - Over 25 years experience selling Travel Insurance.
- - UK based contact centre and 24/7 helpline.
At Holiday Extras we have 3 levels of comprehensive cover available for you - our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies. If you are elderly, or looking for a travel insurance package for senior citizens we have a maximum age limit of 85 years old on our single-trip and multi-trip policies, this includes customers with pre-existing medical conditions. If you are looking for an annual policy we could insure you with either our Silver or Gold cover (please be aware our Bronze cover is available for a single-trip cruise only).
For a vacation at sea, travel insurance suitable for your cruise is essential in order to cover costs including changes to your cruise schedule, being confined to your cabin and any missed port departures or unused prepaid shore activities. It's also important to cover medical costs, lost baggage and unforeseen cancellations.
Compare Cruise travel insurance levels of cover:
To help you decide which level of cover is right for you, our table below illustrates the level of cover available with either our Bronze, Silver or Gold Cruise policies:
|Cruise itinerary change|
|Missed Port Departure|
|Unused Shore Excursions|
Cruise travel insurance explained
- Cabin Confinement - During your cruise, if you have to stay in your cabin on medical advice, or are admitted to the ships hospital for emergency medical treatment we will pay you £25 for each 24-hour period you are confined, up to a maximum of £1,000.
- Cruise Itinerary Changes - If a scheduled port of call is cancelled due to adverse weather conditions, or time table restrictions we will pay you up to £300 for each cancelled port of call (up to a maximum of £1,200).
- Missed Port Departure - If you arrive at your embarkation point after the cruise ship has departed because of something unexpected, or that you are unable to avoid, then we will pay you up to £2,000 towards the cost of additional travel and accommodation so that you can travel to your cruise ship's next port of call and board the vessel.
- Unused Shore Excursions - If you were unable to take part in your prepaid shore activities because you had to stay in your cabin on medical advice, or were admitted to the ships hospital for emergency medical treatment we will pay you up to £500 for missed excursions.**
**These are subject to the appropriate circumstances, and terms and conditions being met as outlined in the policy wording (including providing the relevant documentation).
† If you need to seek medical attention whilst abroad, please contact the 24-hour emergency assistance service for help and advice before treatment, where possible. Full details can be found in the policy wording.
Cruise travel insurance if you have a pre-existing medical condition
At Holiday Extras we can cover a wide range of pre-existing medical conditions with our travel insurance packages and a policy for your cruise is no exception. You will be guided through the process of getting a policy with medical conditions cover when you call our customer service team, or you can declare the conditions of each individual named on the policy when you buy online via our website!
Additional Gadget cover
If you're keen to stay in touch with family and friends while you're on holiday, then you could add additional Gadget cover to your cruise policy in the unfortunate event that your phone or laptop is lost, damaged or stolen. If you pay an extra premium then optional cover is available for trips up to 183 days on either a Bronze, Silver or Gold cruise policy.
Check out the tables below for the cover levels we have available.
|Damage, Theft or Loss|
|Single Item, Pair or Set|
Booking travel insurance
Choosing the right level of cover is straightforward and making a booking with Holiday Extras is just as quick and easy. To get a quote or book your policy online simply click below and bear in mind the following information:
Location: Where are you going?
Dates: When will you be going, and how long for?
Money: The total cost of your holiday (including travel)
Health: What pre-existing medical conditions have you had in the past, or present?
Please visit our policy documents page for more information on our cruise products.
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance Reviews
If you buy travel insurance for your next cruising adventure with Holiday Extras you can be assured of comprehensive cover from an Award-Winning Provider, with over 25 years experience of selling travel insurance. See what some of our cruise partner companies think of our service!
"Holiday Extras offer our guests cruise specific policies that give them peace of mind and confidence when booking their cruise"
"With Holiday Extra's dedicated Cruise insurance policy, our customers are able to be totally confident that they have high-quality insurance cover in place specifically designed for a cruise holiday at sea"
We have been rated Excellent by Trustpilot. Check out our Holiday Extras Trustpilot reviews below.
Am I insured if I take part in water sports and excursions?
Yes, at Holiday Extras we want you to thoroughly enjoy your holiday and appreciate that sometimes you may be tempted to try an exciting activity or sport whilst you're away. If you purchase one of our 3 insurance packages for your cruise you will be covered for the water sports defined in the activity packs of your policy, whether onboard or during a shore excursion. This includes enjoyable activities like yachting or scuba diving.
The following sports are also included as standard at no extra charge:
- Team sports like netball, racquetball and volleyball
- Grounded sports like hiking and cycling
If you are into more daring sports then don't worry, simply call us today and we may be able to increase your level of cover with an additional activities pack for the extreme sports that you want to participate in.
Will I need to buy travel insurance for a domestic cruise?
Yes, a Holiday Extras cruise policy will cover a domestic cruise (one that is based in UK waters). Whatever the destination of your cruise it is important that you have appropriate cover.
Can I buy travel insurance after booking my holiday?
You're best arranging the policy at the time of booking, when you know what the cost of your trip will be and what level of cover you require. Some travel operators expect you to buy your insurance at the same time as booking your holiday but others are more flexible, as long as you obtain your cover before you set sail. It's important that you have travel insurance because most of the major cruise providers will require you to have appropriate insurance in order to board their vessel.
Will I need travel insurance for a P&O cruise?
Yes, P&O does not offer their own travel insurance and it's important that you take out adequate cover whenever you book and pay for a P&O Cruise (Holiday Extras are P&Os most trusted insurance provider).
Will this travel insurance cover my flights?
Yes, a Holiday Extras cruise policy will include cover for missed departure and missed connections for flights, depending on the level of cover you buy.
Will the different countries my cruise visits affect the price of my insurance?
Yes, the countries you visit could impact the price of your policy. For example, if a country has a high level of private health care then your premium may rise because it is more expensive to receive treatment there. If you need travel insurance for Europe, or further oversees, just specify the countries you are visiting when purchasing your policy.
Bear in mind the cost of your policy will depend on the level of cover you require, where you are travelling to, and the type of activities you would like to cover on your trip. It's important that you declare any pre-existing medical conditions that you have which may also alter the price of your travel insurance.
Do I need to buy a cruise specific package if I'm going on a river cruise?
No, River Cruises (provided they are on inland waterways only) can be insured with a standard travel insurance package through Holiday Extras.
Can I buy cruise cover for any part of the world?
Yes, provided the region of cover selected (as defined in your policy) covers the country you're visiting and is not a country excluded for travel to by the FCO (The Foreign and Commonwealth Office). Whether you are buying travel insurance for Europe or further afield you must indicate your area when purchasing insurance for your holiday.
Will my insurance cover problems caused by the weather?
Yes, in certain circumstances. For example, if you missed the cruise departure from your home country because public transport services were cancelled or delayed due to adverse weather conditions. Similarly if your ship schedule changes; including your port of call being cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. It's important to check the policy documents to understand exactly what you're covered for.
Top cruising destinations
- Antarctica- Home to glacial cliffs and icebergs, Antarctica is completely unique, and beautiful to view from onboard your cruise ship.
- Baltic Sea- You'll have the chance to visit a diverse range of history-steeped Scandinavian cities and can even venture to St. Petersburg.
- Hawaiian Islands- For stunning sunshine and green volcanic shorelines, the Hawaiian Islands are perfect. Aloha.
- Mediterranean- Whether you'd rather cruise the French Riviera or the Spanish Costa del Sol, a Mediterranean cruise will refresh and invigorate you.
- South Pacific- Marvel at amazing scenery and meet the exotic wildlife on shore excursions in Australia and New Zealand.
- Caribbean- From tropical rainforests and beautiful beaches to historic sites and idyllic coastal resorts, the islands of the Caribbean make the perfect place for a cruiser seeking adventure, luxury and culture.
Top tips for a successful holiday
- Plan your choice of cruise carefully - Cruises can be perfect for all manner of occasions, and your requirements will be different depending on whether you are looking for a romantic escape, a holiday with friends or a relaxing cruise break for the elderly.
- Prone to seasickness? - Choosing a central cabin in the lower regions of the ship reduces the noise and motion of the sea, lessening the chance of sea sickness.
- Plan your shore excursions in advance - Doing so will give you a better understanding of the areas that you visit, and will help you to stick within a budget.
- Study a map of the ship - Cruise liners are often huge. As soon as you get on board, or ideally in advance, familiarise yourself with the ship's layout.
- Read our blogs - If you would like to know how to make the most out of your cruise travels then you can visit our HX blog for tips, including best cruise holidays for 2020 or the perfect family-friendly cruise holiday.
Further Cruising Information
If you are looking forward to your next cruising adventure and are preparing to step aboard, then please visit a few of our helpful cruise guides listed below - set up to provide you with tips on everything from travelling vaccinations for your next holiday, to the appropriate documentation you may need to travel with!
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.