Loading, please wait...
Delve into all things America with a travel insurance USA policy from Holiday Extras. Prices starting from *
From the iconic cities to the diverse landscapes, the USA needs no further introduction. However, if you're planning a trip to the land of opportunity, it's crucial to have the appropriate USA travel insurance policy so that you can make the most of your visit. Our policies offer comprehensive medical cover for any unforeseen illness and we also provide cover for cancellation and lost baggage. Travel insurance for America helps you to enjoy your trip, without any nagging concerns.
Compare travel insurance USA levels of cover
At Holiday Extras, you can purchase a USA travel insurance policy with one of four levels of cover, tailored to your specific requirements.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need travel insurance for USA?
Travel insurance is very important if you're travelling to the USA. If you fall ill or lose your baggage you could be stuck with high costs to pay. Travel insurance will offer a valuable safety net for your trip.
It's worth considering a travel insurance USA if you have a pre-existing medical condition, too. This is important as there is no reciprocal healthcare agreement in place for visitors to the USA travelling from the UK. American medical fees can be extremely high and if you require medical treatment whilst you are there, you will have to pay in full.
Do I need a visa to visit USA from UK?
Most passport holders can apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) through the Visa Waiver Program (or VWP) which allows travel to the USA for up to 90 days. You will generally qualify to enter the USA using the VWP if your British passport describes you as a 'British Citizen' or has a recognised e-Passport electronic chip.
What is travel insurance and what does travel insurance cover?
Travel insurance covers unforeseen events when you are travelling. Most travel insurance plans are package plans that include various coverage. This cover can include cancellation cover, medical cover, cover for delayed or lost possessions (baggage cover), personal liability, and legal expenses.
Travelling with medical conditions
With a potentially higher need for medical assistance whilst abroad, it doesn't always have to mean a higher price. We have a dedicated team on-hand to organise a quote tailored to you, so we can provide a policy that is individual to your needs. At Holiday Extras, we consider all pre-existing medical conditions. Please read our travel insurance with medical conditions page to find out more.
What if I choose not to declare an existing medical condition?
In the unfortunate event that you require medical treatment that is in anyway related to an undisclosed condition, then your claim will be rendered invalid.
Can I refund my travel insurance policy?
Yes, you can refund your premium in full within 14 days of purchase, providing you have not claimed or already travelled on your policy.
Can I cancel my travel insurance USA policy?
It is possible to cancel your travel insurance policy worldwide within 14 days of making your purchase, during which time, we can fully refund your payment. If your cancellation falls outside of this duration then it is still possible to cut ties with your policy but unfortunately we are not able to provide a refund.
British travel tips for visiting America
Tipping - Whereas in Britain and Europe tipping in not always expected, this is largely not the case in the USA. In the USA, if you go to a sit-down restaurant, it's expected that you tip at least 15% of the bill if the service was average. The expectation to leave a generous tip is also partly the reason why eating out is relatively cheap in the USA.
Restaurant freebies - You'll find that most sit-down restaurants will bring you complimentary bread, salad, water or chips without being asked. Feel free to enjoy these, as they are often included in the price of your meal.
Sales taxes - Be aware that when you pay for many good and services in the USA, the price given on the price tag may not reflect the final cost, as the sales tax is added later at the checkout. Sales tax varies, but is usually between 6-10% of the price of the item.
Don't forget your ID - In America, the legal drinking age is 21 (that goes for both beer and spirits) and if you look under 40, it's likely that you'll be asked for ID. Remember, if you're buying alcohol in a group, everyone will have to produce appropriate ID.
Get suitable travel insurance if you have a pre-existing medical condition - Healthcare is notoriously expensive in the US. According to the most recent data available from the Centres for Medicare, the average American spends approximately $9,596 dollars per year on healthcare and insurance. For this reason, it's always advisable to have comprehensive travel insurance for America to cover for any unforeseen medical expenses.
Things to do in the USA
- Take a road trip. A drive through red-rock deserts and expansive prairies can give you a different perspective on the USA.
- The USA is a cultural powerhouse and there's plenty to see, from Jackson Pollock's paintings to Andy Warhol's pop art.
- Tuck in. Whether you prefer barbequed ribs or fresh lobster, the USA has it all.
- The Grand Canyon is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, and a truly awe-inspiring sight.
- Take a wilderness tour in Alaska. You can spot bears and humpback whales, and you could even see the Northern Lights.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.