Loading, please wait...
Get cover online today from an award-winning travel insurance providers, with policies starting from just *
Travel Insurance with Holiday Cancellation cover
Having holiday cancellation insurance in place when you book is an important precaution to take. After all if you end up having to cancel your trip at the last minute, at least with having holiday cancellation insurance there is some comfort knowing you're protected against financial loss. There are so many reasons why you might have to cancel your holiday, but you should feel safe in the knowledge that you can be covered by your insurance policy, provided the reason emerges after you take out the policy.
The purpose of a travel insurance policy is to insure against the unexpected. So if you need to cancel your holiday because of unforeseen circumstances, it's important to know what qualifies as unforeseen and if you're covered.
Unfortunately, if you're cancelling for a foreseen reason, you will not be able to claim on your travel insurance policy.
If I have to cancel my holiday, what is classed as an unforeseen circumstance?
Here are some examples of the kind of circumstances under which you may be eligible to make a claim:
- Either you, a travel companion, a family member, business colleague or the person you were going to stay with has a sudden, unexpected illness, became injured or died
- Being called up for jury service or to act as a witness in a court of law (other than in a professional or advisory capacity)
- Having to abandon your trip after a delay of more than 8 hours in the departure of your outward international departure, by plane, sea vessel, coach or train.
- If theft, accidental damage, fire or flooding affects your home while you are away or within 48 hours of the trip, and your presence is required by police
- If you, or a travelling companion were made redundant before the start of your trip
- If you, or a travelling companion as members of HM Forces had your leave orders cancelled.
- If you have to undergo a compulsory quarantine
If any of the these things occurred before you take out your policy with us, you will not be able to make a claim.
Is Cancellation Insurance the same as Curtailment?
The kinds of reasons and circumstances under which you can make a claim are similar to those of holiday cancellation insurance. To save confusion, here's a description of the difference between trip cancellation insurance and trip interruption insurance, in plain terms.
- Covers you if you can't go on your holiday before the intended departure date.
- It allows you to get your money back should you need to cancel non-refundable travel tickets and accommodation before your trip begins, due to the specified reasons listed by your insurer.
Curtailment, or trip interruption insurance:
- Is where you are forced to cut your holiday short due to unexpected and unforeseen circumstances during the trip.
- It protects the money you have spent on non-refundable travel and accommodation expenses, should anything happen to cut your trip short while you're away.
So as well as getting cover in case you need to cancel before your holiday begins, you'll be glad to know that you are protected even if something should happen during the course of the trip.
Compare different levels of Cancellation insurance
All our travel insurance policies come in either single trip or annual travel insurance and with 4 cover levels to choose from: either Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum.
Take a look at the levels of cover and decide which one would be suited for you:
Does Travel Insurance cover cancellation due to illness?
Our travel insurance cancellation cover extends to those who need to cancel their holiday plans due to unexpected illness. This means that you can claim for cancellation only if the illness you experience was entirely unanticipated. When making a claim on your travel insurance policy, you will need to provide a certificate detailing your illness from your doctor or the relevant medical consultant.
If the illness is due to a pre-existing medical condition that you were aware of and failed to declare when taking out your policy, you will not be able to make use of the the cancellation cover.
How to book Holiday Cancellation Insurance
To book online, or to get a quote, simply click below and consider the following information:
- - Region: UK, Europe or Worldwide?
- - Date: When will you be going?
- - Money: The total cost of the holiday including travel?
- - Health: Any pre-existing medical conditions?
For full information regarding the ins-and-outs of your travel insurance policy, take a look at our policy documents.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.