Travel insurance with cancellation cover
The entire purpose of a proper travel insurance policy is to insure against the unexpected, so when you need to cancel your holiday because of something that has cropped up, your travel insurance policy should have you covered.
With that being said, what sort of reasons are deemed as suitably 'unforeseen' or 'unexpected' for your claim to be valid?
Here are some examples of the kind of circumstance under which you would be eligible to make a claim on your insurance:
- Sudden, unexpected illness
- The loss of a relative
- Being called up for jury service or to act as a witness in a court of law (other than in a professional or advisory capacity)
- Having to abandon your trip after a delay of more than 8 hours in the departure of your outward international departure, by plane, sea vessel, coach or train.
- If you are made redundant after and qualify for redundancy payment under current legislation
- If theft, accidental damage, fire or flooding affects your home while you are away or within 48 hours of the trip, and your presence is required by police
- Your compulsory quarantine.
Trip interruption insurance
As well as getting cover in case you need to cancel before your holiday begins, you'll be glad to know that you are protected even if something should happen during the course of the trip.
This part of your insurance policy is often called 'Trip Interruption Insurance' or 'Curtailment' insurance. The kinds of reasons and circumstances under which you can make a claim are similar to those of cancellation insurance.
Take a look at the below list, for a better idea:
- The death, imminent demise, or hospitalisation due to serious accident or illness of a close relative.
- Accidental damage, burglary, flooding or fire affecting your home while you are away or 48 hours before you are to leave and when a loss in excess of £1,500 is involved and when your presence is required by the police.
- If you can't recoup the cost of any pre-paid accommodation, you may be able to submit a pro-rata curtailment claim under this section.
What is the difference between trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance?
To save confusion, here's a description of the difference between trip cancellation insurance and trip interruption insurance, in plain terms.
Trip cancellation insurance - allows you to get your money back should you need to cancel non-refundable travel tickets and accommodation before your trip begins, due to the specified reasons listed by your insurer.
Trip interruption insurance - protects the money you have spent on non-refundable travel and accommodation expenses, should anything happen to cut your trip short.
Holiday Cancellation insurance levels of cover
Take a look at the levels of cover decide which one would be best for you
All of our travel insurance policies include cancellation cover as standard - ranging from £500-£5000 per person.
Alongside medical cover, personal possessions and lost baggage cover, a good holiday insurance policy should include cancellation cover.
Does Travel insurance cover cancellation due to illness?
As you can see from the above list, our travel insurance cancellation cover extends to those who need to cancel their holiday plans due to unexpected illness. This means that you can claim for cancellation only if the illness you experience was entirely unanticipated.
If the illness is due to pre-existing medical conditions that you were aware of and failed to declare when taking out your policy, you will not be able to make use of the the cancellation cover.
Travel insurance cancellation due to death of a relative
Cancelling your holiday
There are so many reasons why you might have to cancel your holiday, such as sudden diagnosis of an illness, the strike of a natural disaster or for bereavement purposes. All of these cases can be covered by your insurance policy, provided they occur after you take out the insurance policy. If any of the these things occurred before you took out your policy with us, you will not be able to make a claim.
It is a good idea to purchase your policy in good time before you travel. More often than not, the closer to your travel date you cancel, the less handsome sum you receive should you need to cancel.
Choosing Holiday Extras as your travel insurance provider
The right holiday insurance provider can ensure a stress-free get away! With over 300,000 bookings in the last two years, we're proving to do just that. We have two types of policy and three levels of cover across UK, Europe and worldwide - each one including generous holiday cancellation cover.
Single trip policy
If you've planned one special holiday this year, then our fully comprehensive single trip policy may suit your needs. With cover for up to a trip of up to 365 days, there's no limit to a holiday with something for everyone.
Annual multi-trip policy
You may be a frequent traveller. Whether you're travelling independently or as a group living under the same address, if you embark on more than two trips a year then an annual trip policy can be a real money-saver! You'll receive cover for an unlimited amount of trips given that each trip does not exceed hx-insurance/days-per-trip days.
- Annual travel cover provides the maximum level of protection available including medical cover, cancellation costs and baggage loss.
How do I book my travel insurance?
Our competitively priced travel insurance is easy to book. You can book online by completing the policy form above or book via our UK-based call centre. It is free to call and you'll be able to discuss and compare our great policies with a member of our insurance call centre team.
For full information regarding the ins-and-outs of your travel insurance policy, take a look at our terms and conditions.
- Holiday insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance