Choosing the best gap year travel insurance
Taking a break from study is the perfect opportunity to get some experience and see the world. It could be volunteering abroad, an overseas internship or travelling to any four corners of the globe. All exciting prospects and the right holiday insurance policy can seal the deal. We know it isn't the most thrilling part of the planning your travels but should the worst happen - you've got a financial safety net!
Your travel plans might well be jam-packed with adrenaline boosting activities. In which case, medical cover is a main priority when choosing travel insurance. Gap year travels can mean lots of luggage! In which case, personal possessions cover is a must. Financially protect your belongings like your digital camera against being lost or stolen, a good holiday insurance policy like ours should cover the costs fully. While we can't replace your lost photos, we can help you take some new ones.
What am I covered for?
At Holiday Extras, all of our travel insurance policies are kitted out for safe travels across the UK, Europe and worldwide. They all include high levels of medical and cancellation cover, financial safeguarding for over 100 sports and passport loss.
We have two types of policies and three levels of cover so you adjust your holiday insurance policy to suit your travels:
Single-trip travel insurance
You might be looking to spend your whole gap year abroad. There's no limitation to where you travel - we just need to know your destination. Bear in mind that in some cases, a policy exc. USA can also mean a lower premium. Our single trip policy provides fully comprehensive cover for one trip of up to 365 days:
- Standard cover provides £1,000 cancellation cover per person, £2 million for medical costs and baggage cover of £1,500.
- Premium cover offers £5,000 per person for cancellations, £5 million for medical costs and £1,500 of baggage cover.
Annual travel insurance
Another option is to spend your gap year travelling intermittently. In which case, purchasing an annual travel insurance policy can be very cost-effective - meaning regular trips abroad to wherever you choose with visits home in between! Our annual policy offers financial protection in one payment for an unlimited amount of trips across 12 months - just be sure that each trip does not exceed hx-insurance/days-per-trip days.
- Annual travel policy offers £5,000 per person for cancellations, £5 million medical cover and £1,500 baggage protection.
How do I book my holiday insurance policy?
Booking online is quick and simply, it's also a good way to compare prices and customise your policy to include any additional cover you might need. If you'd prefer to book via telephone, you can call our free and friendly UK call centre team for more information and making a payment.
Looking to travel whilst studying?
If you can't take a full gap year but you've found an opportunity to travel whilst studying then visit our student travel insurance page to find a policy that suits how you'd like to see the world.
Interrail travel insurance
You may want to spend part of you're gap year zipping around europe with an interrail train ticket. In this case, you may want some advice on travel insurance for an interrail holiday. Check out our interrail travel insurance page for more information on choosing the right travel insurance for this kind of holiday.
Planning to work while you travel?
Many people choose to work whilst on their gap year to enrich their travelling experience and supplement their funds. Take a look at our working holiday insurance page for more information on how to get cover for working abroad.
Gap year travel
Visit the HX Blog, it's packed full of tips and gap year ideas for students looking to travel. We've got some great articles for you to read, choosing between a gap year or career break. Or we can help to spark some ideas with potential gap year travel routes.
Additional cover options
If you already have a rough idea of any sports and activities you plan to try then we recommend you read over your policy wording. In which you should find a list for over 100 sports that are already covered. For any sports or activities that you can't find in your policy but do wish to take part in, be sure to give us a FREE call to speak to one of our team. They'll do the best they can to arrange extra cover for your chosen activity for the smallest fee they can.
You might be a keen golfer, an avid skier or travelling frequently for a work placement. With this in mind, we've arranged additional cover options to upgrade your policy. These bump up your cover levels to financially protect against particular worst-case scenarios and important possessions.
Winter sports travel insurance
Hitting the slopes might be top of your to-do list. Before donning a pair of skis, be sure to purchase winter sports cover in addition to your regular policy. We provide cover for your own equipment and any you choose to hire, you are also protected should the piste be subject to closure.
Business travel insurance
Landed the ideal gap year opportunity working abroad? Laptops, work mobile phones, presentation equipment - all expensive gadgets! So it's important to make sure they're fully covered before you travel. Visit our business travel insurance page to find out more!
Travelling the world with a medical condition?
Have medical condition and looking travel the world? It can still be affordable! Our insurance experts are here to make sure your medical condition won't slow you down and work hard to provide fully comprehensive cover at the best possible price.
Be sure to have a read up on our travel insurance with medical conditions pages for more information.
- Holiday insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance