Loading, please wait...
Take out a Travel Insurance Turkey policy to safeguard your Turkish trip. Policies starting from just *
Whether it's marvelling at the glorious Byzantine monuments of Istanbul, or spelunking in the ancient underground city of Cappadocia, Turkey is a country with a little something for everyone. As such, you may want to consider taking out a suitable travel insurance policy for your holiday to give you that all-too valuable peace of mind. We've put together a quick guide for choosing Turkey travel insurance, detailing our cover options.
Compare travel insurance Turkey cover levels:
Multi-trip for multiple holidays
If your holiday to Turkey won't be the only holiday in the year, then it may be worth considering an annual travel insurance policy. For more information on our annual travel insurance policies, take a look at our annual travel insurance page.
Do I need a visa to travel to Turkey?
Getting a visa for your holiday in Turkey shouldn't be too difficult for British citizens. Turkish authorities prefer all visitors to apply for visas online through e-visa. Although at the moment, it is possible to obtain a visa at the border, it's expected that this will not be possible in future. As is the case with most countries, you will need to have a passport that has been valid for the last 6 months and that will not expire within three months of your entering the country.
Do I need any vaccinations to visit Turkey
It's recommended to always consult your GP before travelling to any country, as vaccinations may be neccessary. In regards to Turkey, it's advisable to make sure you've had vaccinations for diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, and hepatitis B. For travel in rural areas you may want to consider an anti-rabies jab, and carry anti-malarial tablets.
Currency in Turkey
Currency exchange offices (Doviz Burosu) - These are easily found in commercial, market and tourist areas. Market exchange offices generally offer the best rates, while offices in tourist locations tend have poorer rates for the customer.
ATMS - Alternatively, for quick and easy exchanges, you may decide to use a credit or cash card at an ATM. While this is quicker than going through an exchange bureau, you may have to pay for the convenience, as banks and individual machines often charge for conversions. Check with your bank before going on holiday and if you don't like what they charge, consider getting a prepaid travel money card. With these, you simply load the card with the amount of pounds, euros or dollars you want and then every time you use an ATM abroad, you can withdraw the native currency at a fixed exchange rate. Some providers will even allow transactions and ATM use abroad free of charge.
Local laws and Customs
Sometimes, being in the know about local laws and customs is just as valuable as having a good travel insurance policy. Here are some things you should be aware of when visiting Turkey.
Smoking in public - Smoking is prohibited in public places, on public transport and in some outdoor areas where sports and cultural events are held.
Photo ID - For travellers in Turkey, it is illegal not to carry some form of photographic identification. It's advised to keep a photocopy of your passport with you at all times.
Taking photographs - You will of course want to take some nice snaps while on holiday, but bear in mind that you can't take pictures near military or official installations.
Thinking of Interrailing through Turkey?
Interrailing is a fresh way to explore and get a full, uncensored experience of the culture. If you're planning an interrail trip through Turkey or are just curious to know what 'interrailing' is, check out our interrail travel insurance page.
Top destinations for a memorable trip to Turkey
Futher information on travel to Turkey
- Turkey travel advice
- Best places to visit in Turkey
- Is it safe to travel in Turkey?
- Best time to travel to Turkey
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.