Travel insurance for Germany
For UK residents, it's tempting to dismiss the idea of travel insurance for Germany as being unnecessary, for the overly-prudent traveller. You might reason that simply having an EHIC card will be enough to keep you out of trouble. While an EHIC card might allow you some access to state medical care in Germany, it's no substitute for a comprehensive travel insurance policy.
Why do I need travel insurance in Germany?
Here are a few reasons why you'll want to take out a proper travel insurance policy for Germany:
- Using the EHIC card will not guarantee all forms of state medical care free of charge. For the most part, the EHIC card entitles you to medical care at a reduced cost when used in Germany. In other words, you may still have to pay if you end up needing medical attention during your trip to Germany.
- A decent travel insurance policy will include cover for emergency medical expenses, often within the region of several million pounds. If you were to need any medical assistance during your time in Germany, you won't need to deal with the added worry of footing a huge bill afterwards.
- Taking out comprehensive cover entitles you to a number of benefits not available otherwise. These could include cover for lost luggage and gadgets, end supplier failure, flight cancellations and even repatriation to the UK.
- The German government specifies that all citizens and foreign visitors possess valid travel insurance, no matter how short their stay in the country.
Health insurance for Foreigners in Germany
If you're planning to visit Germany - even for a very short period of time - you should be aware that the German government requires all visitors to have valid travel insurance.
While this requirement is aimed mainly at travellers who would need to apply for a visa to enter the country, it is still just as important for UK residents to take out comprehensive travel insurance with medical cover when travelling to Germany.
Before you decide on a policy, think about the purpose of your trip to Germany and how long you'll be staying in the country. This will greatly influence what sort of policy you should take out.
- Business related trips - If it's work that takes you to Germany, then you'll want to make sure your travel insurance policy covers any business equipment you'll be taking. Check out the business cover add-on for more details on how we can help with business related travel.
- Sports - Planning to take part in any extreme sports during your stay? Be sure to choose travel insurance that has you covered for sporting activities. Check out our extreme sports page for more information.
- Multiple trips - You might need to make several trips to Germany over the course of the year, in which case, an annual travel insurance policy is advised.
Travel insurance for Schengen Visa
If you're from a country whose citizens are required to carry a schengen visa to visit countries like Germany in the Schengen areas, then you will need valid travel insurance to apply for a visa.
When applying for a schengen visa there are very specific requirements your travel insurance must meet:
- Medical cover of at least €30,000 (approx £26382.75)
European travel insurance
Germany is classed as within Europe for travel insurance purposes, so when booking your policy, you'll need to make sure it's a european travel insurance policy. It's always advised to make sure that the country you are travelling to is covered under any travel insurance policy you may be considering. Keep in mind that certain destinations like Turkey and Greece, whilst technically within Europe, may not be classed within Europe by some insurers.
Holiday Extras travel insurance for Germany
Holiday Extras provide a range of cover options suited to any holiday itinerary. Keep in mind, that you'll need to be a UK resident and have declared any pre-existing medical conditions you have for your cover to be valid.
- £5 million medical cover
- £1,000pp cancellation cover
- £1,500pp baggage cover
- Friendly 24/7 emergency UK based helpline
- UK, Europe & Worldwide cover
- £10 million medical cover
- £5,000pp cancellation cover
- £2,000pp baggage cover
- Friendly 24/7 emergency UK based helpline
- UK, Europe & Worldwide cover
Places to visit in Germany
Berlin - A city seething with culture, history and diversity - to visit the capital is to visit the birthplace of modern Germany. Take a walk along the infamous Berlin wall, stand in awe of the immense Reichstag building, immerse yourself in the booming art scene, discover the underground nightlife. Berlin is a city of character and contrast - perhaps the only place in the world where you can comfortably have a beer outside a parliament building...
The Black Forest - If you're looking for a more traditional, pastoral German experience, then head on down to the South-west. Here you'll find enchanting forested landscapes, sunlight valleys, tranquil lakes and picturesque villages all like something straight out of Grimm's fairytales. Be sure to visit Neuschwanstein castle, the famous 'fairytale' hilltop castle.
Rugen Island - The largest island belonging to Germany in the Baltic sea, here you'll find idyllic stretches of beach, chalk white cliffs and the famous King's Chair viewing platform. Look out for the white-tailed eagles native to the island.
Zugspitze peak - At 2,962 m above sea level, Zugspitze stands as the tallest peak in Germany and is a popular destination for skiing, hiking, mountaineering and glacier walking.
*Price based on 1 adult aged 21 with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe inc Spain/Cyprus/Malta/Turkey or Greece, with a Basic Cover policy, from 30/07/18 until 07/08/18. Price correct as of July 2018.
**Price based on 1 adult aged 21 with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe inc Spain/Cyprus/Malta/Turkey or Greece, with a Basic Cover Annual policy from 19/08/18 until 18/08/19. Price correct as of July 2018.
- Holiday insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance