Loading, please wait...
Get full comprehensive travel insurance for your next trip, with policies starting from just £7.54*
Travel Insurance for a Working Holiday
Working on a gap year is an excellent way to gain valuable skills and experience a culture from a different perspective. Before you go ahead and grab your gap year by the horns, make sure you're covered for any work you plan to take on.
Working holiday insurance that matches your job
When you're choosing an insurance policy for a working holiday abroad, it's important to think about the type of work you have planned.
Non-manual work-Most standard backpackers insurance and gap year insurance policies will cover you for volunteering or working where there is low job related risk. This is good news if you intend to take part in such work as bar-tending, waitering or teaching. However, it is always wise to check out the policy wording of a potential insurance package before buying, just in case there are any surprise exclusions. With Holiday Extras travel insurance packages, you can rest easy, as our single trip policy will cover you for most forms of non-manual work.
Higher risk manual labour-If you plan to take manual work with a higher risk, such as working with light machinery or industrial cleaning, then you will need to look for an insurance policy that specifically covers these elements. At Holiday Extras, we do not currently provide cover for higher risk manual labour.
There are numerous agencies specialising in securing work placements, accommodation and giving support to working 'gappers'. Remember though, these agencies expect you to organise your own travel insurance cover. Don't expect them to foot the bill in a medical emergency!
Pre-existing medical conditions
Unfortunately, some insurers do not provide working holiday insurance to those with certain pre-existing medical conditions. With Holiday Extras, you shouldn't let a pre-existing medical condition hold you back from applying for travel insurance. Simply tell us about any pre-existing medical conditions you may have at the booking processes, and we can tailor a travel insurance policy especially suited to your needs.
Avoid high excesses/inconvenient exclusions
These can be especially troublesome for a working 'gapper' abroad, as very often, your access to funds will be limited. Once again, the importance of reading through the policy wording cannot be over-stated. If you do need to make a claim for a work related incident or anything for that matter, you don't want to be faced with huge charges.
When you make a claim with Holiday Extras, you can be assured that any excesses will be minimal (ranging from £0-£150).
Holiday Extras Working abroad travel insurance
Holiday extras offer a range of travel insurance policies to suit your holidaying needs. When it comes to a policy for your working abroad holiday, we encourage you to get in touch through our friendly UK-based call centre at 0800 316 0104, before booking. Every working abroad situation is different, so we'll need to know some extra details about your trip before we can issue a policy. Please note that our working abroad policies do not include cover for public liability.
*Prices based on 1 adult aged 21 with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe inc Spain/Cyprus/Malta/Turkey or Greece for 7 days. Price correct as of April 2019.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 01693250.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.