Loading, please wait...
Low cost Car Hire Excess Insurance in popular global locations,
keeping you protected against every eventuality.
Take to the road fully protected
Hiring a car when travelling abroad allows you to take to the road at your own pace, and explore new lands with the freedom you just wouldn't get from using public transport. However, we're well aware that this can initially seem like a daunting task. Once you've secured your hire car, the last thing you want is, in the unfortunate event of an accident, to be left short. In this rare instance, we want to make sure you're as protected as possible. This is where car hire excess insurance comes in.
What is car hire excess insurance?
Simply put, a car hire excess is the amount you are expected to pay towards damage and repairs to your rental car, should you be involved in an accident. Though the exact amount varies, some car rental companies can demand up to £2000, for something as little as a scratch on a car door. We're here to make sure that doesn't happen. Unfortunately, charges are all-too often overlooked, hidden in the small print. As such most people are left with no choice but to pay these large fees out of their own pocket. This is where our trusted car hire excess insurance comes in. For as little as the price of a cup of coffee, you'll be insured against having to foot these charges on your own. For a more comprehensive breakdown of Car Hire Excess Insurance, see here.
Holiday Extras car hire excess cover works on a reimbursement basis, meaning anything you have to pay in excesses after an accident, we will give back to you.
Why choose Holiday Extras?
- - Voted best insurance provider 11 years running.
- - Policies with no excess available.
- - UK based contact centre and 24/7 helpline.
- - No maximum age on single trip policies.
- - Over 25 years experience selling Travel Insurance.
Benefits of car hire excess insurance
Holiday Extras trusted car hire excess insurance protects you against any unexpected charges from the rental company, should the hire car become damaged, or involved in an accident.
Our car hire excess cover includes:
- Up to £10,000 excess/deposit reimbursement
- Up to £500 misfuelling cover
- Up to £500 rental car key cover (this includes cover for lost, stolen or damaged keys)
- Up to £500 rental car breakdown recovery
- Up to £300 personal possessions cover
- Up to £200 lock out cover
- Protection for tyres, windscreen and the upper body of the vehicle.
- Theft, vandalism, loss or damage to the hire vehicle
Car hire excess insurance summary of cover*
|Excess / Deposit reimbursement|
- Single item, pair or set
- Tobacco, alcohol, fragrances
|Rental car key cover
- Lost, stolen or damaged keys
- Lock out
£500 (£2,000 within the policy year)
*This is a summary of the main cover limits. It is advised to read the rest of the policy for the full terms and conditions
Annual car hire excess insurance
If you're a frequent traveller, who often makes use of car hire and its services, then it's absolutely worth considering an annual car hire excess insurance policy. Annual car hire excess policies will cover you for unlimited trips throughout the year, as long as these trips don't exceed the maximum of 61 days. This means you'll not only save money the more trips you go on, it also means you won't be bogged down with the stress and hassle of securing a car hire excess policy every time.
Daily car hire excess insurance
It you're only purchasing car hire once or twice annually, then daily car hire excess insurance is most likely the best option for your needs. With daily car hire excess insurance, you only pay for each day of your car hire period. This policy is is used for single trips, that do not exceed 31 consecutive days.
European and Worldwide cover
Our excess insurance for car hire abroad covers both Europe and Worldwide*, so regardless of where you're travelling, you'll be able to rent a car with the peace of mind that, no matter where you are, if something should happen, we've got you covered.
Making a claim
To make a claim on your car hire insurance excess cover policy, there are a few things you will need, but overall the process is simple and straight-forward. Here's what you need to make a general claim:
- Your original policy schedule, vehicle rental agreement and travel documents showing the dates and times of travel
- Original bills or invoices you are asked to pay
- Original receipts and accounts for any out-of-pocket expenses you have to pay
- A copy of the driving license of the person driving the insured vehicle at the time of the accident.
*The only countries excluded from our cover are Afghanistan, Belarus, Congo, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Burma, Sudan and Zimbabwe (as well as any destinations to which the government advises against travel).
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.