Big January Giveaway - Click Here For More Details
Loading, please wait...
Hiking travel insurance
As any seasoned hiker will know, when you're out on the trail, you need to be prepared for all eventualities. Getting yourself a robust, reliable travel insurance policy is the first step to covering all your bases.
Holiday Extras provides comprehensive cover for hiking holidays, so you can strike out into the unknown with the assurance that we've got your back.
Our Hiking cover includes:
- Medical Emergency expenses including repatriation - up to £10 million
- Catastrophe cover - up to £2,000
- Personal accident - up to £20,000
- Cancellation cover - up to £10,000
Travel insurance for Hiking up to 1000m
As a standard part of your Holiday Extras travel insurance, you'll receive cover for hiking anywhere up to 1000m without having to pay an additional charge or premium. For hiking above 1000m, you will need to make sure you add the relevant sports activity pack to your policy.
Travel insurance for hiking over 1000m
With our policies you can receive cover for hiking at altitude ranging between 1000m - 4000m by paying the additional premium.
Booking Holiday Extras Travel Insurance with Hiking cover
Booking travel insurance with Holiday Extras is easy:
1) Enter the details of your trip into the quote form at the top of the page.
2) Choose from, bronze, silver, gold or platinum levels of cover.
3) Select any upgrades to add to your policy.
4) You're ready to go!
Don't hike alone - Avoid hiking alone and use the buddy system during any type of activity. If travelling with a group, never stray from the group. If you need to detach from the group, tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
Submit a trip plan - Certain natural parks and reserves require hikers to submit a trip plan, for use in case the hikers go missing. Make sure your trip plan is as accurate as possible, the more detailed, the better the chances are of you being found should you lose your way. Even if you aren't required to submit a trip plan, it is a good idea to leave a detailed trip itinerary with a trusted and responsible contact. Be sure to notify the contact once you have passed reached the check-in points of your journey.
Take appropriate clothing - Always carry water-proof clothing and gear in case the weather turns bad. If you become wet or excessively cold, making warming up a priority, as hypothermia can quickly set in. Dressing in a series of light weight layers that can be easily donned and shed helps to conserve heat.
Carry a whistle - This can be heard over a greater distance and requires less energy than yelling. Three short blasts is the signal for distress.
Take enough water - Carry plenty of water and try to avoid drinking stream water. Each person should have access to 3-4 litres of clean drinking water each.
Keep referring to the map and compass - Don't rely on mobile phones or GPS as these can run out of battery, become lost, damaged or - in the case of mobile phone - can lose signal.
Carry a first aid kit - This should include medicines like: Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, Aspirin, Loperamid (Antidiarrheal), Dipphenhydramines (Anti-histamine), Bandages, Skin closures, Blood clotting agent, cloth tape, Scissors, Precision tweezers, hand sanitizers, roll gauze.
Use common sense - While having a good time is important, failing to exercise caution and common sense could invalidate your cover should you need to make a claim. Following the advice of tour guides and using good judgement will serve you well and ensure you have a safe and satisfying trip.
Hiking travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions
If you have pre-existing medical conditions, be sure to declare any conditions you may have and we could provide a policy tailored to your specific requirements.
Trekking travel insurance with helicopter rescue
Considering how the average cost of running a search and rescue helicopter is around $1600 per hour, it's a given that you'll want a trekking travel insurance policy to cover the eventuality of a helicopter rescue operation.
For trekking expeditions that will take you to altitudes above 2000 meters, it's wise to seek a trekking travel insurance policy which covers emergency helicopter rescue, as the likelihood of search and rescue teams having to use a helicopter is increased when trekking at higher altitudes.
Be sure to check the maximum altitude you can travel to under any potential policy before buying. The costs of a helicopter search and rescue mission can stack up very quickly and if you are trekking at an altitude not covered by your policy and end up needing to be rescued by helicopter, you could end up having to foot the bill all by yourself.
For more challenging and hazardous trekking expeditions, such as hikes to Mt. Everest's intermediate and advanced base camps, a specialised mountaineering policy is highly recommended, one that covers helicopter search and rescue. The BMC (British mountaineering council) offers some good policy options, however, you will need to be a member of the organisation to take out an insurance policy.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.