Big January Giveaway - Click Here For More Details
Loading, please wait...
Hungary Travel Insurance
With the grandeur of Budapest, the wild beauty of Bukk national reserve and the world famous thermal baths, Hungary is the perfect blend of cultural, character and natural beauty.
Buying a travel insurance policy, or organising it for a large group, can seem like a stressful affair. At Holiday Extras, we want to reduce any hassle that might arise when planning your holiday. After deciding whether you need a single or an annual policy, you can then choose from 4 varying levels of cover depending on what suits you and your Hungarian holiday.
Here's how our travel insurance policies can help you keep peace of mind and enjoy your trip to the full:
Pre-existing medical conditions?
At Holiday Extras, we believe that everyone should be able to receive a fair quote for their travel insurance cover. If you have pre-existing medical conditions, we encourage you to complete the brief medical screening process to be given a fair and accurate quote for your travel insurance policy.
Places to visit in Hungary
Looking for some holiday inspiration? Here are some of the top places we recommend checking out:
Lake Balaton - often dubbed the Sea of Hungary, Lake Balaton is the largest lake in central Europe at 592 square kilometres. It's a sought after holiday destination for it's beaches, volcanic hills and resort towns. The region around the north shore, is well known for it's wine production as well as the numerous hiking trails.
Thermal baths - thermal waters run unusually close to the surface of geothermal springs can be found everywhere. Budapest has more thermal springs than any other capital in the world. When the Ottoman Turks occupied this part of Hungary, they brought with them their penchant for thermal bathing
Bukk national park - The largest national park in Hungary, Bukk is boasts impressive limestone mountains, and the country's longest and deepest cave, Istvanlapa. Highly recommended if you want to stay active during your holiday and enjoy phenomenal scenery.
Must-try Hungarian delicacies
Hungarian cuisine is so much more than just Goulash and paprikash...
Langos - coming from the Hungarian word for flame, langos is a deep-fried dough smeared with garlic butter and often topped with sour cream, cheese and peppers.
Chimney bread - dough coated in sugar and roasted over a bed of charcoal. Other varieties include chocolate, walnut, almond, vanilla and cinnamon coatings. What's not to love?!
Gestzentenyepure - if you can manage to pronounce the name of the dish, then you are in for a real treat. Gestzentenyepure is a traditional Hungarian dessert dish made of crumbled, spiced walnuts, served with whipped cream.
Tips for travelling in Budapest
The cheapest way to get around is by tram or metro, with tickets costing as little as 300 forints, around £0.81. Remember to validate your ticket at one of the validating machines, before getting using the transport service, otherwise, you could land yourself a hefty fine. If you're planning to stay a little longer in the city, then multi-day passes are available valid across all lines.
Uber is not available in the city - Unfortunately for regular uber users, the service isn't available in Budapest. The company withdrew its service from the city in 2017.
Paying for things
Although being part of the EU, Hungary uses its own currency, the forint, which is currently around 369 Ft to the British pound. In the urban city areas, most places will accept debit or credit card payments, with only the smallest street food stalls and markets accepted cash only.
Basic Hungarian greetings
Knowing a few friendly phrases in the local language goes a long way in feeling welcome in a city and enjoying your stay in the country. Here are a few basic phrases and greetings to learn, so you can impress the locals.
Good morning - Jo reggelt
Good day - Jo napot
Good evening - Jo estet
Goodbye - Viszlat
Thank you - Koszi
† If you need to seek medical attention whilst abroad, please ensure that you contact the 24-hour emergency assistance service for help and advice. Full details can be found on page 4 of the policy wording.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.