Loading, please wait...
Travel insurance for Switzerland
Whether it's an action-packed adventure in the Alps or a convivial culture tour of Zurich and Bern, a holiday to Switzerland is sure to leave you with fond memories. Here's how our comprehensive travel insurance policies can help you enjoy your holiday with full peace of mind.
Why choose Holiday Extras travel insurance?
There are many providers out there, but here's why you're better off choosing Holiday Extras travel insurance for your trip to Switzerland.
Up to £10 million medical cover - If you end injured or catch an illness, don't worry about footing the bill. We have you covered up to £10 million for medical and emergency treatment.
Up to £5000 cancellation cover - insure against any last minute cancellations caused by a disrupted flight or unforeseen incident.
Up to £2000 personal possessions cover - get protection against loss and theft for your baggage and personal belongings
24/7 helpline - You'll have access to a friendly support team on hand around the clock.
Cover for missed flights, lost passports and much more.
Ski travel insurance for Switzerland
Planning to hit the slopes when during your trip to Switzerland? Our policies offer the option for additional winter sports cover, with insurance for snowboarding, skiing off-piste, ski equipment, and piste closure to name a few benefits. Check out our Ski insurance page for more details.
Pre-existing medical conditions
Getting travel insurance that's fairly priced and provides sufficient cover can be a challenge when you have pre-existing medical conditions. Here at Holiday Extras, we believe that every traveller should be able to benefit from comprehensive insurance at a fair rate. If you have pre-existing medical conditions, just complete the brief online screening process to receive a quote tailored to your needs.
Getting around in Zurich
Zurich is a very walkable city and in fact, the city's tourism board have even stated that going by foot is the best way to get around. However, if you prefer to take it easy, the city is well connected with many efficient, affordable public transport options.
As a tourist, your best bet is to get a Zurich Card, which will give you unlimited travel on all forms of public transport in the city within the specified time frame. The card is available in 24hr and 72 hr variants, and costs just £17.50.
- There's a bus or tram stop every 300m in Zurich, so you're never too far away from an easy transport option
- Remember the golden rule: validate that ticket! Before getting on any form of public transport, you need to validate your ticket at one of the validating machines. Failing to do so can land you with a hefty 100 franc fine. Remember, you also need to validate your Zurich card the first time you use it!
- Never take a taxi- they are ridiculously expensive and you're better off getting an Uber. Uber is widely available in the city and there's even a 'green' option which allows you to order only hybrid or electric vehicles.
Swiss food is so much more than just cheese and chocolate.
Swiss bratwurst sausage - perfect beer food, a sausage made from veal and beef, traditionally served with a hunk of fresh bread and a pot of mustard.
Swiss Macaroons - creamier and sweeter than the french macaroons!
Geschnetzeltes - veal stripes served in a sauce of white wine, cream and demi glace, with a potato rosti topped with creme fraiche. A classic Zurich dish.
Zaupf - traditionally eaten on a Sunday, bread made the traditional way, but with milk and eggs added to the mixture, giving it a creamy flavour, only costs about 1 Franc 50!
Paying for things
Remember, Switzerland is not part of the European Union! It uses it's own currency, the Swiss franc which you'll see marked as CHF. Sometimes hotels will accept both Francs and Euros. Currently, it's 1 CHF to 0.78 GBP, but of course keep an eye on exchange rates as these can fluctuate. You'll find that most shops wil take card, but it's always wise to carry some francs on you for that quaint little cafe tucked away in a back street or for the street vendors.
Things to do, places to visit
Jungfrau - One of the main summits of the Bernese Alps, Jungfrau is a popular destination for hiking, skiing and paragliding.
Chateau de Chillon - Located on the banks of Lake Geneva, this 4th century river side Bastion is full of nooks and crannies to explore, from ancient halls-draped in 14th century paintings, to subterranean vaults and weapons rooms. The idyllic setting in the Swiss Riveria makes it an ideal day trip destination.
Zurich - The world famous centre for banking and finance, and with a rich pre-medieval history, it would be a crime not to plan for some time in this charming and highly underrated city. Take a stroll down the boulevard by Lake Zurich, or take a guided tour for the cities landmarks like the twin-towered Grossmunster cathedral and the Zurich Opera House.
Switzerland is a unique country in that it has 3 official languages. The most widely spoken language is Swiss German, followed by French and Italian. Don't let the trio of languages scare you though, as the languages you will encounter will largely depend on which part of the country you visit, with each area or 'Canton' having it's own specified official language or language. As an English speaker you shouldn't have any worries as English is somewhat of a lingua franca between all the Cantons in Switzerland.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 01693250.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.