Loading, please wait...
Explore the world with no limitations and full financial protection when you need it most. Annual travel insurance for backpackers start from just *
Finding the best backpacker insurance
Taking some time out from your career or planning the gap-year of a lifetime? Before you set off on your worldwide adventure, there's one last thing to do before you fill your backpack; book a travel insurance policy suitable for backpacking.
Travelling on a budget can make the cheapest travel insurance policy an appealing option. However, should anything go wrong, it is important that you set off with the appropriate amount of cover. We provide everything you need to ensure safe travels across the UK, Europe and worldwide including medical and cancellation cover, financial protection for over 100 sports and passport loss.
What am I covered for?
We have two types of policies and four levels of cover; guaranteeing flexible and reliable travel insurance to suit your backpacking adventure:
Single-trip travel insurance
If you intend to really explore your destinations, then we expect you to be travelling for quite a while. You have the freedom to travel to any destination within your area of cover ranging from Europe to Worldwide. Our single trip policy provides cover for one trip of up to 365 days:
- Bronze cover offers up to £500 of insurance for your baggage and £1,000 of cancellation cover per person. This cover also includes up to £5000 in personal accident cover and up to £5 million in emergency medical and associated expenses.
- Silver cover provides personal accident cover of up to £10,000, up to £10 million in emergency medical cover, baggage cover of up to £1,500 and cancellation insurance of up to £2,500 per person.
- Gold cover provides emergency medical cover to up to £15,000 in personal accident cover and up to £10 million in emergency medical and associated expenses cover, baggage cover up to £2,000 and cancellation cover of up to £5,000 per person. Our Gold cover also includes cover for your personal sporting equipment of up to £1,000.
- Platinum cover is the same as our Gold cover policy but the excesses have been removed.
Annual travel insurance
You might be an intermittent traveller who likes to return home between trips. Our annual travel insurance policy offers financial protection for an unlimited amount of trips across 12 months - making sure that each trip does not exceed the number of days allowed by the level of cover you have chosen. The levels of cover remain the same for annual policies as they are for single trips.
Free cover for 100+ sports and activities included in every policy
European or Worldwide?
You'll want to carefully consider whether the destinations on your itinerary are considered to be inside or outside of Europe. Insurers can be a little undecided as to whether certain areas within Europe are classed as 'European' for insurance purposes, so be sure to check this out before going.
Holiday Extras class most countries geographically recognised as Europe (meaning west of the Ural mountains) and within the Schengen area (places like Iceland and Norway) as 'European' for insurance purposes. Keep in mind, if you are travelling to either Spain, Cyprus, Malta, Turkey or Greece you'll need to specify this on the booking engine left of this page, before hitting the 'get a quote button'. For more information, visit our travel insurance for Europe page.
How do I book my holiday insurance policy?
You can use our quick and easy online booking system to choose your policy or if you'd prefer to book via telephone, you can call our free and friendly UK call centre team to make your booking.
Group travel insurance
If you're planning on sharing your travel experiences, it might be cheaper to book a group travel insurance policy together. If you live in the same household and plan to travel again separately, with an annual travel policy you'll be covered for an unlimited amount of trips throughout the year.
Interrail travel insurance
Many backpackers through Europe choose to enlist the might of the all powerful interrail train ticket, letting them whizz round the continent with ease. If you are one such adventurer, then you'd likely want to know how to get a proper travel insurance policy for your interrail journey. Visit our interrail travel insurance page for some useful tips on interrailing, along with what to look for in a travel insurance policy.
*Price based on 1 person aged 25 with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe from 04/02/2018 until 03/02/2019. Price correct as of January 2018.
Winter sports cover
Travelling should be full of the unexpected but, an absolute must-do before you travel is to make sure you are covered for any hazardous activities you plan on undertaking. If you fancy hitting the slopes and donning a pair of skis then be sure you purchase our winter sports cover in addition to your regular policy..
Can I travel around the world with a pre-existing medical condition?
If you have a medical condition and are looking to travel the world, it can still be affordable. Our discreet screening process is simple to follow and offers comprehensive cover - or if you need help, we have a dedicated team of insurance experts ready in our Kent-based contact centre. Whatever your ailment, we'll work to make sure your medical condition won't slow you down by providing fully comprehensive cover at the best price.
Be sure to have a read up on our pre-existing conditions pages for more information.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.