Loading, please wait...
Last updated: 4th March 2020
Coronavirus Japan and Travel Insurance
Due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, Japanese authorities have implemented enhanced quarantine procedures at airports and ports to limit the spread of the virus. There are currently many confirmed cases of coronavirus in Japan.
As preventative measures against the further spread of coronavirus in Japan, the Immigration Services Agency of Japan has announced that unless you have exceptional circumstances, the following are not allowed to enter the country:
- Foreign nationals who have been to Zhejiang or Hubei provinces in China within 14 days prior to arrival.
- Foreign nationals who have travelled to Daegu or Cheongo within 14 days of arrival into Japan.
- Foreign nationals who have a Chinese passport issued by Zhejiang or Hubei Provinces in China.
For more information on what countries are currently affected by the outbreak, cosult the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
Will coronavirus affect my travel insurance?
For more information surrounding the impact of coronavirus on travel, please see our coronavirus guidance page. This contains regular updates on the coronavirus outbreak, as well as any effect it may have on a Japan travel insurance policy.
What is coronavirus?
Coronavirus, also known as COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan City, China. As it's predominantly a virus that attacks the respiratory system, symptoms include a high temperature, cough, and shortness of breath. For a more in-depth explanation, the World Health Organisation is an excellent source of official, regulated information regarding the outbreak.
The Diamond Princess cruise ship outbreak
As you may have seen in the news, on 3rd February 2020 a substantial outbreak of coronavirus occurred on the Diamond Princess cruise ship. With 10 initial cases, this had spread to 619 confirmed cases by 20th February. Due to the confined nature of a cruise ship, the basic reproduction was 4 times higher than that in the outside world. The cruise ship is currently docked at Yokohama, Japan under quarantine.
Protecting yourself from coronavirus
Though there is currently no cure for coronavirus, here are a few easy steps to help both protect yourself and to avoid potential transmission.
- Was your hands frequently with soap and water, or clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover your hand and mouth while a tissue while coughing and sneezing, and dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Try to avoid contact with people who are, or have recently been unwell.
- If you have a fever, cough or difficulty breathing, seek medical care early.
- Stay informed on the development of COVID-19, and follow any advice given by your healthcare provider.
Countries affected by coronavirus
Or maybe you'regoing on a cruise?
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.