Loading, please wait...
Windsurfing Travel Insurance
Whether you plan to be blasting, gybing or back-looping in the water on your next windsurfing holiday, have you considered booking your windsurfing travel insurance cover with Holiday Extras? We understand that the thrill of an extreme sport can get you swept away, but in the right environment, even a novice windsurfer can reach speeds of up to 25 knots so it is important to protect yourself on holiday!
Please note that while these policies will cover you while you're on holiday you will need to purchase our Extra Activity Cover Level 2 for when you are actually windsurfing. You'll be able to select this add-on during the quote process.
Did you know that even the most proficient of windsurfers have found themselves victim of unfortunate accidents at sea? By selecting a Holiday Extras policy you can have your pick of 4 different levels of cover:
You can either book the policy online or call our UK-based call centre and speak directly to a member of our insurance team on 0800 316 0104.
How to be sure that all stays calm at sea
Since the world began to spin on its axis and around the sun, every windsurfing destination has its 'on' and 'off' season — the on season is the one you're looking for, as this means it's more likely to be windy most of the time!
What's good to know is that the wind in many destinations is powered by thermals, which means the windy season is usually also the hot and sunny season and there is no better place to cool down than out on the water!
Here's a quick guide to a couple of the most popular locations
Windsurfing in the Canary Islands
A lot of windsurfing takes place in the Canary Islands. They get trade winds which are thermally assisted in the summer months and can be unbelievably reliable. Pozo in Gran Canaria, El Medano in Tenerife and Sotavento in Fuerteventura are all sure-thing destinations from June to September, and a reasonable bet all year round. They tend to be very popular with good, intermediate or experienced windsurfers, and also play host to professional windsurfing competitions every summer.
Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Costa Teguise and Famara in Lanzarote are also great locations to enjoy your sport. Each Canary Island offers slightly different Atlantic sea conditions due to being located off the west coast of North Africa. These volcanic islands have year-round sunshine, peaking in July and September to heights of up to 30 degrees, with Tenerife and Gran Canaria being the warmest islands.
The sea conditions vary from one island to another which means that different conditions are available according to your preference or ability. The islands benefit from a constant supply of wind, making them the ideal windsurfing destination, and the endless stretches of golden sand help enable the perfect backdrop all year-round.
The Canary Islands are also a popular destination for scuba diving and if you would like more information on booking travel insurance with scuba diving cover please click here. Also if you would like any additional information on the Canary Islands you could check out this page.
Windsurfing in the Mediterranean
Perhaps you are thinking - why travel far for windsurfing when you can stick right here in Europe? The Mediterranean is only a few hours flight from the UK and has beautiful resorts which are ideal for windsurfing, including Kos in Greece, Corsica in France, the Algarve in Portugal and Alacati in Turkey.
Pissouri, a small traditional village in Cyprus, is also a very popular windsurfing spot which boasts strong winds for the more advanced windsurfer and has some protected waters which are ideal for beginners to the sport.
Another popular spot is Porto Pollo located on the windiest point in Sardinia, Italy. This secluded location has beautiful white beaches, clear waters and a huge bay for beginners and experienced windsurfers alike. You can either surf in calm and protected conditions or choose the thrill of sailing in the channel where the waves crest as high as a rig.
Accidents can happen
As with any extreme sport, part of the thrill of windsurfing is found in the carefree attitude and confident conquering of your surroundings but accidents can happen, so taking safety precautions is vital to both your own and others' safety.
With this in mind, here are a few basic safety pointers to consider when windsurfing:
- Never sail alone. If you're with a friend then you'll always have someone there to help if you get into trouble.
- Avoid offshore winds. You don't want to get blown out to sea.
- Check your gear. Going over your equipment before you launch could be the difference between life and minor injury. Check fins, deck plates, your rig and the downhaul and outhaul ropes.
- Take responsibility for your safety. Don't be careless in the knowledge that lifeguards will save you.
- Be realistic about your ability. Don't go out in conditions that will prove beyond your capabilities.
- Let someone know where and when you're going windsurfing and when you expect to return.
- Carrying some safety equipment is advisable. A helmet, flare and personal floatation device can all be lifesavers.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.