Loading, please wait...
Whether you're lounging in Los Gigantes or trekking up Mount Teide, make sure you're covered. Our European travel insurance policies start from just £7.54*
Tenerife Travel Insurance
With paradisean coasts, stunning volcanic landscapes and UNESCO world heritage sites, it's small wonder that Tenerife attracts upward of five million tourists a year.
Whether you're lounging in Los Gigantes or trekking up Mount Teide, you'll want a reliable travel insurance policy for your trip to Tenerife. Take a look at our guide to holidaying in Tenerife and getting the best travel insurance policy for your trip.
- Choosing Travel insurance
- Tenerife Travel Insurance Europe
- Why Choose Holiday Extras?
- Where to go in Tenerife
- Places to stay
- Places to visit
- Choosing Travel insurance
What will I need from a Tenerife travel insurance policy?
1. Water sports cover
Something would be amiss if you went to Tenerife without enjoying the sea in one way or another. With Holiday Extras travel insurance, you are covered for a range of water sports as standard - whether you're parasailing across the Playa de las Americas, or simply dabbling at the water's edge. For more information on water sports insurance and the activities covered under our standard travel insurance policy, visit the water sports insurance page.
For water sports activities deemed higher risk such as kite surfing, you will need to take out an additional premium. For more information, see the extreme sports insurance page.
2. Medical emergency cover
It's important to check if you are covered for medical expenses, as the last thing you'll want in an emergency is to be hit with a crippling medical bill or hefty policy excess. Holiday Extras travel insurance policies are designed to cover for medical emergencies, with minimal policy excesses. Under a bronze level policy, you are covered for £5 million in medical expenses with 24hr emergency assistance.
3. Does European travel insurance cover Tenerife?
Tenerife is classed as a province of Spain and is, therefore, an EU member state. Due to higher healthcare costs on the island, some insurers may charge more for travel insurance to Tenerife than to mainland Spain. At Holiday Extras, Tenerife comes under European coverage. You won't be charged any more than if you were travelling to any other European destination. For more information, visit our European travel insurance page.
Why choose Holiday Extras for travel insurance to Tenerife?
With the Holiday Extras booking process you can have comprehensive european travel insurance in just seven clicks. You can choose the exact level of cover that suits your needs:
- Bronze cover provides £1000 per person for cancellation costs, another £500 for baggage, and £5 million in medical cover.
- Silver cover offers £2,500 per person for cancellations, £1,500 for baggage, and £10 million in medical expenses.
- Gold cover has £5,000 per person set aside for cancellations, £2,000 for baggage, and £10 million for medical fees.
- Platinum cover has £5,000 per person set aside for cancellations, £2,000 for baggage, and £10 million for medical fees, £500 for personal money, passport and documents.
Frequent travellers can choose an annual travel policy, which provides the same cover levels as our Premium policy with year-long protection. An impressive 60 percent of customers book and travel within 14 days.
Pre-existing medical conditions
If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you shouldn't feel put off from getting travel insurance for Tenerife with us. Simply declare any medical conditions you have at the booking process, and we will tailor a policy specifically designed to cater for your needs. For more information, check out our travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions page.
Tenerife travel advice
Where to go in Tenerife
With so much to do in Tenerife, choosing where to go really depends on the kind of holiday you're looking for...
El Medano, Los Gigantes - For days spent relaxing on sun-bathed shores, away from the hustle and bustle, El Medano on the south-east coast and Los Gigantes on the western coast offer some of the best beach lazing experiences. With two of Tenerife's largest beaches, El Medano is also the ideal location for beginner surfers.
Puerto De La Cruz - If you're looking for a dose of Canary Island culture, history and cuisine, head for Puerto De la Cruz. Here you'll find galleries for art both contemporary and historic, museums hosting ancient island curios, exotic botanical gardens, and restaurants serving the finest in local delicacies.
Playa de las Americas - For nightclubs, beach bars and boutique stores, look no further than Playa de Las Americas. The resort also boasts an expansive water sports scene, with plenty of snorkelling and jet skiing opportunities.Top
Places to stay in Tenerife
Tenerife has a range of comfortable bolt holes and places to stay, from luxury 5-star resorts, to more affordable, functional apartments and hostel style accommodations. Getting a room at short notice is usually quite easy to do in the north of the Island, in places like Santa Cruz. However, if you are visiting the south, you will want to book accommodation in advance, as these areas tend to be the chosen locations for package holidaymakers.
Luxury accommodation - If you are willing to spend out on accommodation, there are a variety of excellent quality, luxury hotels and resorts to choose from. Costa Adeje boasts numerous beautiful resorts with heated freshwater pools, hot tubs, poolside restaurants and live piano music.
Budget accommodation - For a comfortable 2 bed apartment in Santa Cruz, prices average at £41 per night - creeping up slightly, the further south you go. Hostel prices tend to range from £8 - £34 per night, depending on the area and any added services, like free breakfast and wi-fi. It's always a good idea to check out the ratings and reviews of a potential hostel or bed and breakfast before booking.
Places to visit in Tenerife
Volcan El Teide - At 3718m tall - the tallest peak in Spain and the third tallest volcanic peak in the world - this world heritage site attracts over 4 million visitors a year. With a vast network of hikers' trails and fascinating sites of historical and geographical significance, there can be no doubt that a visit to El Teide will be the high point of any trip to Tenerife.
Cueva del Viento - Running for 11 miles in a three-tiered labyrinth, this volcanic tunnel is the fourth largest of it's kind in the world. Take a guided tour to really get the most out of your visit, with commentaries available in English.
Jardin Botanico - With fragrant herb gardens and major collections of tropical and subtropical plants, visiting the Jardin Botanico of Santa Puerto de la Cruz is a great way to spend a leisurely afternoon.
La Laguna - Considered one of the most beautiful towns in Tenerife, La Laguna boasts a rare combination of rich history, culture and an exuberant nightlife.
*Prices based on 1 adult aged 21 with no pre-existing medical conditions, travelling to Europe for 7 days. Price correct as of April 2019.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 01693250.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.